Burgundy is a beautiful region in France known for rich wines and terrific cuisine. On a weekend stay in the area, I got to observe the magic of a French grandma's kitchen first-hand. I left feeling full and glad, my pockets overflowing with recipes and fresh fruit. I've eaten all the fruit, but this will make up for it.

Black Currant Sorbet
Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup fine sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 lb fresh black currants
  • 1 lemon's fresh juice
  • 1 tbsp egg white

You will also need a saucepan, food processor, sieve, and freezable dish.

  1. Boil water and sugar in a saucepan on medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then let the syrup boil for 2 minutes. Put this aside to cool.


  2. Remove the currants from their stalks. Process the black currants and half of the lemon juice in the food processor. It should come out smooth. Mix in the sugar and press the mixture through a sieve to get rid of seeds.


  3. Once the seeds are separated, put the mixture in a freezable container and cover it firmly. Make sure you don't use a metallic dish, unless you want black currant sOREbet. Ha. Get it?


  4. Yeah, okay, sorry about that. Freeze the sorbet 1-2 hours. It should be almost firm, but still a little slushy. Cut it into pieces and put the chunks back into the food processor.


  5. While the sorbet is going 'round and 'round, add the egg white and mix well. Freeze the new mixture until it's almost firm, like you did before. Once again, cut it up and put it into the food processor.


  6. Pour your sorbet into dishes and serve!

Note: If you like to prepare foods in advance, you can freeze the sorbet ahead of time. It'll keep about a week, just make sure you let it thaw a bit before serving.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.