Blaine is the rich, 'dreamy' character played by Andrew Macarthy in Pretty in Pink.

Fond of wearing white suits with pink t-shirts underneath.

Supposedly the romantic hero to Molly Ringwald's heroine but his role is completely overshadowed by the well groovy Duckie, who in the original cut of the film ended up with Molly at the Prom at the end of the film.

The term can also be wittily used to describe someone who is tragically uncool in their pursuit of zeitgeisty hipness (ala the tendency for the Miami Vice look for the character in the film).

"Blaine? His name is Blaine? That's a major appliance, that's not a name!!" - DUCKIE.

Blaine is the name of a character in The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. If you have not read the books The Waste Lands and Wizard and Glass yet you should consider the rest of this a minor spoiler.

In The Waste Lands, Blaine is foreshadowed in a childrens book from 1942 called Charlie the Choo-Choo which turns out to be a cross-dimensional information leak between Roland's shattered world and John "Jake" Chambers' 1971 New York. The book can be described as Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel with an anthropomorphic train engine as the title character. Eventually Blaine is revealed as a senile, suicidal, psychotic, riddle-obsessed artificial intelligence with multiple personality disorder contained in a computer beneath the ruins of the post-apocalyptic city of Lud.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.