Ladies and Gentlemen, it does not get any better than this.

To construct this fine concoction, you will need:

- 1 heavy skillet (cast iron or stainless steel, not non-stick)
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks, aka Filet Mignon
- 1/3 C plain bread crumbs
- 3 oz blue cheese
- butter
- olive oil
- 2 shallots
- beef broth
- 1/2 C red wine
- thyme

First, remove the steaks from the fridge to allow them to warm up and set the oven on broil (if you want your steaks rare to medium rare, 425 if you want them medium to well done).

Next, we will want to make the crust. Get your food processor out (sorry, this is hard to do without one) and toss in the blue cheese, 2 tbsp butter (cold), bread crumbs, and 1 tsp thyme. Pulse until well incorporated, it should have the look of a grahm cracker pie crust. Set this aside.

Preheat your skillet over the burner at high heat. If all you have is a non stick pan, go for it, but you will get much better results (a nice seared crust on the steak) with a heavy cast iron or stainless steel pan. Also, you want a broiler safe pan and non-stick pans cannot usually go in the broiler. Your call...

To the skillet, add 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil. Season the steaks with pepper, and place in the pan. Sear for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until a nice crust forms. This will probably smoke up the place a bit... Remove from heat and top the steaks with the crust, as much as makes you happy. Pop those bad boys in the oven. Give them maybe 5 minutes for medium rare, 8 for medium, 12 for well. All ovens are different, sorry, no refunds.

In a small sauce pot, cook 2 diced shallots in a bit of olive oil for 1 minute over medium high heat. Add in 1/2 C red wine and let reduce until the wine is almost completely gone. Add in 1 C of beef broth and simmer until reduced by half.

Allow steaks to rest at least 5 minutes before serving. Top with sauce, either as is or strained.

Enjoy!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.