I came into possession of two flats (about 6 gallons) of big, sweet, freshly-picked blueberries just a few days ago from a local blueberry farm. Last night, I decided to experiment with my Apple crumble cobbler recipe to adapt it to blueberry use. It worked! I also tried a shortcut in making the crust, which also worked, and have added a mention to the bottom of the prior recipe as well. I must have eaten a pound (1/2 kilogram or so) of this before my stomach informed me that it would be sending some back up soon to make room for more. It makes one 9 by 13 inch pan of dessert.

Crust

Blueberry filling

Crumbles

  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) soft butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups flour

Preparation

  • Preheat your oven to 375oF
  • To make the crust mix the flour and salt in a medium bowl. Cut shortening into the flour mixture until it forms small crumbs. Add two tablespoons of water at a time to the mixture, tossing the mixture lightly in between with a fork. Once all the water has been added, pour the crust mixture into the pan and pat firmly flat.
  • Wash the blueberries thoroughly and pour them in the pan. It should be nearly full to the edge. Mix the sugar and flour together and sprinkle the mixture evenly over the berries.
  • For the crumbles, mix the flour and sugar well in a bowl, and cut the butter into the mixture until crumbly. Crumble evenly over the top of the dessert.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.