Ebenezer Scrooge's clerk and only employee in the Charles Dickens tale A Christmas Carol. Cratchit was the one who greeted Scrooge's nephew at the office, and allowed the two charity seekers to darken Scrooge's door. He lived in a modest four room house.

"There's another fellow," muttered Scrooge of Bob, "my clerk, with fifteen shillings a week, and a wife and family, talking about a merry Christmas. I'll retire to Bedlam."

When Scrooge was visited by the second of the three spirits, The Spirit Of Christmas Present, he was made witness to Cratchit's family as they celebrated the season in their own humble way, and learned of his youngest child Tiny Tim and the sad fate that lay in store for him.

After his trial by spirit, Scrooge quickly attempted to remedy the plight of his life, and one of his many actions to change the shades of future he was made to see was to increase Bob Cratchit's salary, pay the mortgage on Cratchit's house, and invited his family to a turkey dinner. Scrooge also he insured Cratchit's son Tiny Tim would recieve benefit and medicines. Through the character of Bob Cratchit, Charles Dickens showed how one man's actions, be they for good or ill, can affect others in both subtle and dramatic ways.

The tale is a persuasive one, in which the reader may choose to evaluate the actions of his own life, and learn by example.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.