Bobbin Threadbare is the protagonist in the fabulous 1990 LucasArts game Loom.

He is a young apprentice to the Weavers guild and the son of Cygna, whom he believes to be dead. Bobbin was born of the Great Loom, and thought by many of the council to be responsible for the darkening of the pattern; in fact we learn that his mother was banished for summoning him in this fashion. At the beginning of the game, Bobbin witnesses the council being transformed into swans. He spends most of the rest of the game traveling around looking for them and for his mother.

At the end of the game, after tearing off a piece of the pattern free from evil influence, Bobbin transforms himself into a swan to join the rest of the weavers, then sets off across the sky to begin the world anew. This is quite possibly the most beautiful scene in any computer game ever.

Looking beneath the hood of a weaver is said to invite death. Perhaps it does, but if you play Loom on the most difficult setting, you get to see Cobb seeing Bobbin. He looks a little like a Vorlon.

In The Secret of Monkey Island, Guybrush Threepwood can be made to say "My name is Bobbin Threadbare, and I'm looking for my mother."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.