display | more...
The Bofors Gun was a 40mm light anti-aircraft automatic gun developed by A.B. Bofors of Sweden in 1929 and sold to many countries.

It was adopted as a standard AAA gun by the British Army in 1938 and by the US Army in 1941. The German Army also used a small number captured from France and Poland during World War II.

The Bofors fired a 2lb. explosive shell at a muzzle velocity of 2,800ft./sec. at 120 rounds per minute. The maximum ceiling was listed as 23,600 feet but a more practical number was more like 12,500.

The standard mounting was a four-wheeled trailer unit with a gimballed turret and ammunition storage onboard, but some guns were mounted in vehicles as mobile defense for supply and troop convoys.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.