The sequel to Hudson's caveman romp Bonk's Adventure for the Turbografx 16 console. Released in 1991, Bonk's Adventure continues the story of Bonk the Caveman who uses his unique weapon - his head - to smash the baddies. By doing flips in midair Bonk can slam his rock-hard cranium down upon those who would do him harm. A Game Boy version was released in 1994 as well. Both games follow the same plot: the evil King Drool has stolen half of the moon, and its up to Bonk to recover it.

Bonk's main power-up is hunks of meat, of course. Larger chunks bestow greater powers. A small slab of beef will allow Bonk to stun enemies by slamming into the ground, while a large piece will make Bonk invincible for a few seconds as well as allows him to breathe fire. The meat's effects run out after several seconds or if Bonk takes a hit, whichever comes first. Bonk can also collect smiley faces to exchange for bonuses at the end of a level, while fruits and fast food items grant points. The occassional 1-up litters the landscape as well. Snagging a small special flower will whisk Bonk off to a bonus stage where he can earn more fruit, meat, and smiley faces.

The TG16 version plays exactly like its predecessor and its sequel and, in fact, uses the same basic sprites for Bonk. While vivid, large, and colorful there are no innovating additions to the series in this title. It's all more of the same, but if you enjoyed the other games in the series you will probably enjoy this one. The music also is lifted from the previous Bonk game, however it is quite catchy.

The Game Boy version, on the other hand, features several new additions to the Bonk world. Special items turn Bonk into a thief who can pick locks on doors, a Vulcanesque alien with amazing offensive powers, and a gluttonous Bonk that eats enemies alive, a la Kirby. Just like with meat, these powers run out when taking a hit or when the timer counts down. This version of the game also does away with the prehistoric setting of the other Bonk games and sends our hero through caverns, villages, and other more modern settings.

While the two versions are different, they are both quite enjoyable. Which is the better play? Well, the TG16 version offers bright graphics, but with standard Bonk gameplay while the Game Boy version offers innovation with drab colors. However, since both of these games have been off the market for years I advise that you visit your local used game store or online auction and see if you can pick up both. Failing that, the ROMs for both games are on the Internet if you know where to look. Both games are common for Bonk titles, but are rare overall when compared other more popular games. Either way, Bonk's Revenge offers meat treats that can't be beat.


References:
Playing the games
http://www.GameFAQs.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.