"Dedicated to preserving the long lost art of body modification in housepets"

Strong candidate for the sickest site on the web, these people claim to create artistically deformed kittens by cramming them into jars and such. The idea is that the kitten's soft skeleton takes on the shape of the jar as it hardens (the skeleton, not the jar).

The site features a number of pictures of kittens crammed into jars, but not enough to convince that this isn't just a great big hoax. Further evidence of hoaxing lies in claims that you require a certificate in "kitticulture" to perform these enormities, and that the finished product can be delivered by mail. One way or the other, somebody has way too much time on his/her hands.

The site also offers for sale a number of "Constriction Vessels", including a glass hound and a Klein Bottle.

http://www.bonsaikitten.com/. Mirrored at http://www.ding.net/bonsaikitten/


Erik Fish artfully demonstrates the problems inherent in humour on the web by taking my writeup far too seriously.

Ryano hasn't visted very many web sites if he seriously considers the humor site Bonsai Kitten to be a strong candidate for the title of "sickest on the web". How can he overlook the great many sites that seriously advocate genocide? Time to take a long look at HateWatch and put the minorly amusing bit of black humor that is Bonsai Kitten into perspective.

I take this seriously because there is a large group of blithering idiots including the Humane Society of the United States that are using bogus complaints in an attempt to have Bonsai Kitten removed entirely from the internet. Everyone knows how ultimately futile this is but it's disturbing how quickly the site was ejected from three hosts and mirrors were removed from eight free web services. The site is now hosted by rotten.com and is expected to remain there.

Even PETA (notorious for their shock tactic advertising) believes that "this type of Web site should be shut down" (although they admit that it is "unfortunately" legal). Don't they realize that the laws protecting Bonsai Kitten are the same ones protecting their photos of dismembered cows?



Update: According to a Wired News article "FBI agents in the Boston field office have launched an investigation into Bonsai Kitten. They also have served MIT with a grand jury subpoena asking for 'any and all subscriber information' about the site, which was initially hosted in a campus dormitory". Your tax dollars hard at work.



Rancid_Pickle's write up is just the sort of chicken little-esque speculation that created this whole mess. I expect better from a Content Editor.

A short investigation reveals that the "obscure law" he references is most likely "To amend title 18, United States Code, to punish the depiction of animal cruelty" aka Public Law No. 106-152 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d106:h.r.01887:) which was signed in 1999. The summary of this law is as follows:

Amends the Federal criminal code to prohibit, and set penalties for, knowingly creating, selling, or possessing a depiction of animal cruelty with the intention of placing that depiction in interstate or foreign commerce for commercial gain. Makes an exception for any depiction that has serious religious, political, scientific, educational, journalistic, historical, or artistic value.

Please note the emphasis (mine). So what's the Bonsai Kitten site selling? Nothing. Could it be termed artistic? IANAL, but it certainly seems plausible. Looks like the sky isn't falling after all.



Just be happy I didn't flood your ISP with complaints. I am deeply offended by your use of the "humour" spelling on a web site that is hosted in the U.S.

It's true, the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation has opened a case file for the Bonsai Kitten website because of complaints from folks with little sense of humor. The problem is, the folks who run the website may be in a bit of trouble. There is an obscure law that makes it a felony to even depict animal cruelty in any form. If you put a cat in the microwave just to take a picture (not to make dinner!), you would be guilty of a felony too.

Perhaps someone from one of the Cayman Islands can set up a webserver farm and make a bundle, just like their banking industry.


Just a follow up to Mr. Fish: The site did feature some advertising, so it could be argued it fits for commercial purposes. The interesting thing is that the law he quoted was not the one I was referencing, but it'll do just fine.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.