In my family Boodle is a dish served for dinner. It's been called that since about 20 years before I was born, so the reason behind the name has now escaped us.

Boodle is this:

make enough elbow macaroni to fill a rectangle glass dish (generally 13x9x2)

drain 1 or 2 cans of diced tomatoes

Grate about a 1 pound block of cheddar cheese (or more, depending on how much you like cheese)

Make the macaroni like you normally do (boil in a pot of water, drain, etc..) Second, sprinkle a layer of cheese in the bottom of the glass dish. Third, pour in a layer of cooked macaroni, a layer of cheese & a layer of diced tomato. Next, another layer of macaroni & another layer of cheese, etc..do this until the dish is almost full & then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Place in the oven at around 325 degrees until the cheese on top is melted & begins to get crisp around the edges, this only takes a few minutes.

Cool slightly, & enjoy. This is different from run-of-the-mill macaroni & cheese because you don't stir it all together, it's more like a casserole. It's great for the kids, & it's also nice when you have the makings & don't feel like goulash, or grilled cheese sandwiches, or whatever.

Try it!

Boo"dle (?), n. [Origin uncertain.]

1.

The whole collection or lot; caboodle.

[Low, U. S.]

Bartlett.

2.

Money given in payment for votes or political influence; bribe money; swag.

[Polit. slang, U. S.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.