A shotgun. The term originates from Sam Raimi's 1993 film Army of Darkness. In the movie, the character of Ash, played by Bruce Campbell, fires his weapon to get a crowds attention, and into the shocked silence that follows says:
Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-mart. Ya got that?! Now I swear, the next one of you primates, even touches me...
The premise of the film is that a modern day man, Ash, is trapped in medieval times. Given that firearms are unknown in this milieu (as are most of the things that Ash refers to in his quest), he creates this portmanteau by combining an onomatopeia (boom) with the shape of the object (stick).

The Boomstick™ is the most common barrel used by professional paintball players worldwide. Manufactured by the Dye Precision company of San Diego, California, it is built from gun drilled surgical grade 303 stainless steel and an aircraft grade 6061 T6 aluminum.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.