Public park in Boston, MA. Home of beautiful flowers in the spring. One of the last silent spots downtown in the winter. Part of the Emerald Necklace.

While you will undoubtedly encounter many more varieties of homo sapiens than of other animals in Boston Public Garden, it's probably wisest to limit your interaction to the furry and feathered creatures. From personal experience, here's a guide to observing, attracting, and feeding the many wild creatures of the area.

Squirrels

These little mammals might be the most rewarding creatures to feed here, because in suburban locations, it's difficult to approach them closely. Here, however, they will eat right out of your hand. It is possible to pet them as they eat, but be gentle. Squirrels of the red, brown, and gray variety have been spotted here. They all will respond well to sunflower seeds, which need not be de-shelled.

Waterfowl

Many ducks and geese frequent the Public Garden; however, you will have to decicde for yourself if feeding them is worth it. To get close enough for interaction, you will probably have to step through a large amount of mud and fecal matter. The ducks are mostly harmless, but be wary of the geese. You may experience a Hitchcockian terror when surrounded by a flock of these long-necked beasts. If threatened, they may hiss and even chase you. Ducks and geese will eat out of your hand as well, although they do not enjoy sunflower seeds. I imagine that bread crusts would do the trick. Use caution when proffering food in your palm; the waterfowl have no teeth with which to bite, but they could deliver an uncomfortable beak-chomp.

Pigeons

Like Macauley Culkin in Home Alone 2, you may be able to attract a large group of these pestilential birds to perch on your arms. Unlike the other creatures of the park, pigeons will actually seek out food from humans- no tracking required. Pigeons like sunflower seeds and will not bite you. However, there are certain disfigured pigeons which may seek food from you. If the idea of a one-legged pigeon landing on you does not sound appealing, be wary of each bird that approaches. Of course, feeding birds at close range carries the risk of getting pooped on. There are several types of pigeons here, including light gray, white, and mottled.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.