To braise foods involves cooking foods in a small amount of water in a covered pot. Meats are usually browned before being braised, vegetables are not.

If your goal is to become become a zen master cook like sneff, you need to be able to create your own recipe. In order to create your own recipe, you must understand the principles of basic cooking methods. Braising is one of the most basic methods of preparing food. It involves cooking meat or vegetables in a small amount of liquid at a medium heat for a long period of time. Braising is suitable for all cheap cuts of meat that have a lot of connective tissue and other things that make meat tough. Chicken legs, pork shoulder, beef short ribs, and lamb shanks are all things that lend themselves to braising.

The steps involved in braising are as follows:

  1. Brown the meat
  2. Sweat the vegetables that you will use to flavor the stock
  3. Bloom the spices
  4. Add 1 cup flavoring liquid to the spices
  5. Put it all in a deep cast iron pot with just enough stock to cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the meat
  6. Cook it in the oven, unlidded,for 2-3 hours at 350 F
  7. Reduce the stock to make a pan sauce
  8. Garnish with tasty tidbits

Of course, I am not suggesting you take all the ingredients listed and throw them into a big pot. The next step in being able to cook without recipes is to develop a relationship with your ingredients, to know which spice goes with what meat, how to create an asian flavor, and finally, how to coax a delightful flavor out of what ever is is season or is cheap. Because to me, cooking without recipes is to be able to buy whatever is cheap at the store and still make desirable food out of it.

If you want to see this methodology in action check out the recipe for Braised chicken with capers and olives.

Braise, Braize (?), n. [So called from its iridescent colors.] Zool.

A European marine fish (Pagrus vulgaris) allied to the American scup; the becker. The name is sometimes applied to the related species.

[Also written brazier.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Braise, Braize, n. [F.]

1.

Charcoal powder; breeze.

2. Cookery

Braised meat.

 

© Webster 1913.


Braise, v. t. [F. braiser, fr. braise coals.] Cookery

To stew or broil in a covered kettle or pan.

A braising kettle has a deep cover which holds coals; consequently the cooking is done from above, as well as below. Mrs. Henderson.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.