I'm tired; the Christmas lights are up.
A warm red-yellow glow fills the room,
temporary home, temporary life here.
My life is tilted, like a view through water, like a bleary-eyed morning.


A rich love, a deep dark room - the warm rain of intimacy.
I'm looking for

connection, familiarity, recognition, clarity.

Tossing and turning with words,
playing with metaphors and symbols,
squeezing my size 14 figure into the size 6 dress of language.
Sucking in to fit.
I will burst the seams.

I crave conversation.
I want someone to surprise me
with concern, with integrity,
an equal desire to grow.
I want to know myself without a doubt.
I want to head for California.
I want to be brand new.

Brand New is a band that was first introduced to me in the spring of 2002 by a very good friend of mine. He told me I absolutely HAD to listen to “Soco Amaretto Lime”, and when I did, I also fell in love with it. Later, I also enjoyed the rest of their songs, especially “Jude Law and a Semester Abroad”.

This band would most likely be considered pop-punk by everyone. A few songs are a little hardcore, like “The Shower Scene” and “Seventy Times 7”, but most are very mellow and would be considered “emo”. In other words, New Found Glory, Saves the Day, and Weezer fans will probably like Brand New. They are not very original, but they do have a nice sound, nice musicians, and very catchy lyrics. If you want to listen, I suggest you check out their debut album “Your Favorite Weapon”.

Jesse Lacey is the lead vocalist/writer, and he realizes that many may consider his band a fleeting fad, a cliché in the world of pop-punk music. However, he is not disturbed by his mediocrity and wants to play what the people like to hear: “We just want to be a part of music that kids are listening to. We're really trying to break in more than break away” (pastepunk.com). Maybe one of the things that sets them apart is the fact that they seem very sincere. Almost all of their lyrics are non-fiction and stay away from expected emo stereotypes (has anyone else noticed how it’s hard to sound emotional these days… without sounding exactly like Dashboard Confessional?).

So, chances are you haven’t heard of this band. To the best of my knowledge, they have not been in Rolling Stone yet, but they have been featured in many online-zines. However, they are trying to get more publicity and are touring with bands like the Movielife. Before you know it, they might be opening for one of your favorite bands! and then… the sky’s the limit.

“Your Favorite Weapon”

1) The Shower Scene
2)Jude Law and a Semester Abroad
3) Sudden Death in Carolina
4) Mix Tape
5) Failure by Design
6) Last Chance to Lose Your Keys
7) Logan to the Government Center
8) The No Seatbelt Song
9) Seventy Times 7
10) Secondary
11) Magazines
12) Soco Amaretto Lime

He hands her a key. She runs her fingers over the logo, feeling each letter.
C. H. E. V. Y.

She flashes to 1974. Wind gently blowing her youthful hair as she sits in the back. In the back of a brand new Camaro. A brother of hers is in the front, half of his body leaning out the window. Her father looks back to ask his girls what they want to hear on the radio. He takes one hand off the wheel to fiddle with the luxury option. It was already too late to notice the oncoming truck.

Her mind rushes back, key now clenched in hand. She looks up to see her husband's beaming smile,
"We got the new Camaro! Come'on honey, lets take the kids for a ride."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.