Brett Hull, born August 9, 1964 in Belleville, Ontario, is a retired NHL winger, for the Calgary Flames, St. Louis Blues, Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings and Phoenix Coyotes; he went to Dallas after a long illustrious career in St. Louis where he was primarily a high-slot sniper. He signed with Detroit prior to the 2001-02 season, and 10 months later he was skating around the ice with the Stanley Cup. He signed with Phoenix prior to the 2004 NHL player lockout, though by the time play resumed for the 2005-06 season, Hull was out of shape and couldn't keep up with the game's new style of play. As a result, he retired after playing only five games for the Coyotes.

As a player, many head coaches have worried about Brett being locker room poison for morale because he was always very vocal and didn't take any shit. After coming to Dallas and being welcomed to the squad by coach Ken Hitchcock's unique brand of two-way iron man hockey, Brett wasn't nearly as noticed as he once was. This is because he didn't just sit around and wait to fire off a slap shot at the first opportunity, which was his modus operandi in years past: he dug in, played some D and passed off scoring chances to other guys for the good of the team, truly becoming one of the greatest players of all time and following in his legendary father's (Bobby Hull) footsteps. He wore uniform #16 during his days in Calgary, St. Louis and Dallas, #17 with Detroit, and #9 with Phoenix. The Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix franchise had retired #9 for Bobby Hull, but it was unretired for Brett when he signed with the Coyotes.

Brett Hull finished his career with 741 goals and 650 assists (1391 total points), good enough for third-most goals scored, behind only Wayne Gretzky and Gordie Howe, and nineteenth in total points (as of the 2006 offseason). Brett's 86 goals in 1990-91 are the second-most scored in a single season, behind Gretzky's 92 in 1981-82.

In 2006, Brett became co-general manager, with Les Jackson, of the Dallas Stars.

Career byline:

      GP   G   A  Pts  PIM
    1269 741 650 1391  458

Accolades:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.