Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming is a fictional work written by Roger Zelazny and Robert Sheckley. It is essentially a skewed version of Sleeping Beauty (or something similar); a quite-funny reinterpretation of the tale where evil forces are trying to get Prince Charming to fail. It was first published by Spectra in 1991 and is still in print.

The book mostly revolves around Azzie, an ambitious demon. He wants to get ahead in the world of evil, so he decides to advance his career by entering the Millennial competition between the Forces of Light and Dark for control of mankind's destiny. The winning side gains control of mankind's destiny for a thousand years.

The goal of the competition is to demonstrate whether humankind is good or evil at heart by presenting examples of both; the gods then decide which side is more convincing. For his entry, Azzie plans to stage a classic fairy tale quest (essentially Sleeping Beauty), where a handsome prince is sent out to rescue an enchanted princess with a kiss. Of course, Azzie stacks the deck heavily against the prince successfully completing his quest. Most of the novel revolves around Azzie's preparations and the cavalcade of other characters he deals with as a result of the preparation.

It is a well-written and humorous skewing of a generic fairy tale. Most of the humor is brought by the tons of bit characters throughout the book, including an old and bitter dwarf and several skewings of classic fantasy characters. It's very humorous if you are a fan of fairy tales and the fantasy genre of fiction.

I would describe the book as good, but not great. There are definitely some worthwhile and enjoyable moments in the book, but in other places the jokes and plotline seem a bit rehashed, and not in a good way. Even though this book's plot revolves around it, I still think the authors use classic plot points far too much. Also, don't expect great meaning or depth here; this is purely fun reading, simply to put a smile on your face. There are no deeper messages at work than to lob up some jokes and parody, but it does a very good job of making jokes and parodying the fantasy and fairy tale genres.

Roger Zelazny is perhaps best known for his series of fantasy novels set in the Amber universe, all of which are excellent. He passed away in the summer of 1995, leaving behind a treasure trove of great fiction for future generations. His collaborations with Robert Sheckley, of which this is one, are among his final works.

Robert Sheckley is best known for science fiction; I would point to Soma Blue or Mindswap as his best known novel. He's written roughy forty novels over the years and has received several awards for his writing.

Other books you might enjoy if you like this one is Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Gregory Maguire's Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, and two more books by this pair, If at Faust You Don't Succeed and A Farce to Be Reckoned With, which are sequels to this... or perhaps continuations of them, as some characters overlap but the storylines are distinct. All of these are of similar feel and many are better in quality (especially Pratchett's wonderful Discworld novels).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.