Encouraged by my success making Triscuit pizzas, I decided to hop online and look for more recipes of the 'dorm room gourmet' variety.

The first cooking page I came across had a featured recipe of Orecchiette with Broccoli Rape.

My god! I thought, this person has gone too far!

Always in favor of violating a few veggies (and enticed by the recipe's promise of being "quick and easy") I clicked the link and learned the dish would serve six.

Hmmm, so it's more of a Broccoli Gang Bang.

After running to the store for some "extra virgin" olive oil, I was all set. Long story short, it was nasty.

I've since learned the existence of broccoli raab, which probably leads a duller sex life than broccoli rape, but here's the recipe as written on a scrap of wrinkly paper from several years ago.

1 lb Orecchiette Pasta
1 lb of Broccoli Rape: washed, trimmed, and sliced into 3" pieces
¼ cup Extra Virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cloves of garlic sliced thinly
¼ tsp dried chili powder
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil, add the Orecchiette and cook for 8 minutes. Add the Broccoli and continue cooking for 6-8 additional minutes.

In the mean time, add olive oil to a large sauté pan and cook onions over high heat for 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder and lower the heat.

Drain your broccoli and Orecchiette, reserving ½ cup of the cooking liquid. Add the cooking liquid, broccoli and Orecchiette to the sauté pan. Add nutmeg, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese.

Toss well and serve.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.