display | more...

    Brock Hall is a residence hall in the Alumni Quadrangle at the University of Connecticut, named after Charles Raymond Brock. Born in Hamden, CT on July 20, 1896, Brock was a University of Connecticut Board of Trustees member from 1948-1958 and vice chairman of the Board from 1953-1958, as well as president of the Alumni Association from 1929-1931. He received the Distinguished Alumni Award in 1963 and was made an honorary life member of the University of Connecticut Foundation Board in 1975.

    Brock graduated from New Haven High School in 1914 and planned to follow in his father's footsteps in the dairy business. He received a Bachelor of Science in Dairying from Connecticut Agricultural College in 1919. He then entered the business with his father, and two years later C.W. Brock and Sons, Inc. was formed. He also took part in the formation of Brock-Hall Dairy, the product of a merger with Henry F. Hall. Charles became president of the corporation in July 1944. Brock-Hall Dairy was the largest independent dairy in the state and served more than sixty thousand patrons. It was also the first distributor of vitamin D milk in the country.

    On September 19, 1921, at Wallingford, Brock married Elfie Foote Blakeslee, who was active in Hamden's women's organizations.

    A Republican, Charles served for fourteen years as a member of the Hamden Board of Finance. He was first elected to the Connecticut House of Representatives in 1937 and was re-elected for the 1939 and 1941 terms. He was elected to the state senate in 1943 and became minority leader in 1945. He died in 1988.


--back to University of Connecticut--

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.