Broken Arrow is a town on the outskirts of Tulsa, Oklahoma. It's a booming town, having grown from 11,000 citizens in 1970 to almost 100,00 today. The town is known as the Flight Simulator capital of the world because of some of the high-tech manufacturing plants found there. Blah Blah Blah, huh? Ok..now for some of the cooler stuff about Broken Arrow.

Broken Arrow was established in 1828 when a group of Creek Indians from Georgia settled there. The tribe had been forced out of their homelands by the government and moved to Indian Territory in what is now Oklahoma. The name of the town came from the village the Creeks had lived in before. The original name came from a site near the Georgia village where arrows were made by breaking branches from willows along a river, hence the name "Broken Arrow".

Today Broken Arrow is a diverse town, a fact that is borne out by looking at the three main annual city events. The first is the Wearin' of the Green festival held each March with Celtic music, food, and entertainment. Later in the year is the annual 'Rooster Days' with activities like the rooster egg hunt, the Miss Chick contest, a rodeo, and an industrial trade fair. Finally, in November each year an Indian Territory Festival is held, showcasing Native American art, music and history.

So why do I care? Well...I don't really, but my dad did grow up in a place about 200 miles South of Broken Arrow; a place called Broken Bow. I figured there was probably some kind of connection, but I haven't been able to find one. Just fillin' in the gaps.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.