Bull Temple is located in Bangalore, Karnataka in India. It was built by Kempe Gowda during the 16th century. The Bull Temple houses the 4.57m high x 6.10m long statue of Nandi, the bull of Lord Shiva. Nandi is the animal that Shiva used to ride on to get from place A to place B. The statue was carved out of a single granite rock. The type of architecture is the Dravidian style. The temple is said to have been built by local villagers who kept trying to ward off a bull that kept eating their crops, more specifically their goundnuts.

People who visit the temple apply coconut oil to the statue. Because of this, the original color of the Nandi Bull turned from grey to the current color of black. The people who visit the temple must be Hindu, so people of other religions are banned from its premises. For most of the year, the temple is occupied and busy with some type of ceremony. On the weekends, musicians are present at the temple and present their music. Every year, local farmers hold a day to show their thanks for the original bull staying away from their crops. The day is known as Groundout Fair (or Kadalekayi Parishe, as the locals call it).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.