Burbank Glendale Pasadena Airport
2627 Hollywood Way
Burbank, CA 91505

Burbank Glendale Pasadena Airport (Burbank Airport; Airport Code: BUR) opened on Memorial Day, 1930 as United Airport after its builder, United Airports Company of California, Ltd. Believed by many to be the first multimillion-dollar airport in the United States, it soon became the major airport for the Los Angeles Area, dwarfing its nearby predecessor, Grand Central Airport. Many legendary aviators frequented Burbank Airport, among them were: Amelia Earhart, Charles Lindenberg, and Wiley Post.

With the onset of war, Burbank Airport was purchased by the Lockheed Company who renamed it the Lockheed Air Terminal, and set about expanding the complex to help the war effort. Even as it became a factory where thousands of B-17s P-38s, and Hudson bombers were rolling off the assembly lines.

Following the end of the war, the airport lost much of its importance with the opening of LAX, however, it rebounded in the 1960s when the small shuttle planes could use the short runways of Burbank for quick flights to San Francisco.

In 1978, Lockheed sold the airport to its current owner, an airport authority formed by the neighboring cities of Burbank, Glendale, and Pasadena, the previous year, garnering its rather current and rather long name.


Sources

http://www.burbankairport.com/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.