The Bureau of Land Management (BLM), an agency within the U.S. Department of the Interior, administers 264 million acres of America's public lands, located primarily in 12 Western States. The BLM sustains the health, diversity, and productivity of the public lands for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations.

LAND USE

This land is available for use by anyone, and has fairly lax rules. One may cut any fallen wood, though during times of extreme fire danger, one is required to have a spark arrestor on their chainsaw. Wood-cutting permits are generally required, imposing small fees such as fifty cents to a dollar per cord of wood.

BLM land is cut through with roads of varying quality. While it is always useful, during the winter four wheel drive is indispensable, especially in hilly areas.

Use fees are not collected.

HISTORY

Congress established the General Land Office in 1812 as a portion of the Department of the Treasury to oversee the disposition of Federal lands. The Taylor Grazing Act of 1934 established the U.S. Grazing Service whose purpose was to manage public rangelands. The Oregon and California act which was passed August 28, 1937, mandated sustained yield management of timberlands in western Oregon. This brings us to 1946, when the Grazing Service was merged with the General Land Office to form the Bureau of Land Management, a subsidiary office of the Department of the Interior.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.