Burger King is a chain/franchisement of fast food restaurants spanning over 58 countries world-wide. It was founded in 1954 by partners James McLamore and David Edgerton in Miami, Florida under the original name of Burger King of Miami. The first location was at 3090 NW 36th Street in Miami and served the national standard hamburger.

In 1957 Burger King introduced their cash cow (pun intended), the Whopper Sandwich (at the staggering price of 37 cents) and it immediately became the company's largest selling item.

The company expanded and franchised itself over the next decades and in 1967 Pillsbury bought the company and all 274 locations for $18 million and soon after the "Have it your way" slogan was introduced. Salad Bars were introduced into the stores in 1983 and then quietly extinguished a few years later, around the time they introduced the Croissan'wich in 1985. In '88, Grand Metropolitan PLC acquires The Pillsbury Company and its subsidiaries, including Burger King Corporation, for $5.79 billion. Grand Metropolitan later merged with Guinness in '97 to create Diageo, PLC.

Among the usual places you can find a Burger King, there are a number of more esoteric locations like Sydney (Australia), Turkey, Paraguay, New Zealand (and old Zealand, too) and Madrid (Spain).

I ate lunch at Burger King today. Fast food is a once in a while occurrence for me so I was feeling indulgent and stupid, to set the tone of the story.

I noticed my fry package had three filled in checkboxes: fresh, hot, and crispy. I suddenly and regretfully had the brilliant idea of telling the cashier that I did not in fact order my fries hot, fresh, and crispy. I would inform her that I had ordered them merely hot and crispy, then angrily demand her to make new fries, let them sit out for an hour, heat them up again, and deliver them to me.

Funny, right? Something you would laugh about with your friends, or dream about in the tub. Except I actually did it.

I walked up to the counter. A young, blond girl stood in front of me. I executed my carefully planned dialogue flawlessly. My delivery was impeccable! I was all sorts of proud of myself. Then I noticed the tears. Yes, the tears. During the angry part of my monologue, the girl had turned her head to the side and started crying like a baby. I was floored. I stood in disbelief, holding my fries like an idiot. Two employees swept to her side to comfort her and cast angry glares at me. The manager came out from the back and asked me what exactly the problem was. By this time I was frozen in shock, unable to think. I managed to blurt out "my fries." I put the fries on the counter, turned around, and walked out of the building. All I could think about on the drive home was making that poor, sarcasm-impaired girl cry.

Looking back I'm not quite sure what I expected out of the exchange. Some witty dialogue? Laughs all around? I can't honestly say I thought too critically about what would actually transpire. One thing I can say for certain, however: I severely overestimated those Burger King Employees.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.