A really great piece of graffiti, especially one with brilliant colors, exceptionally great style, or stunning visual impact.

Graffiti slang
On the east coast a burner used to specifically imply a piece that covered an entire subway car, although it has come to have the meaning applied above.

hip hop slang
A gun, specifically a pistol. This piece of slang has survived since at least the 1920's and continues to be used today.

Slang term for an individual who attends the Burning Man festival in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada, or shares in the understood ethics of festival participants during and outside of the event. Burner ethics include concepts such as Leave No Trace, individual creative expression, self-reliance, a gift-based economy and helping others. Burners have been called the new-age hippies of the nineties and the new millennium, but many find that description both shallow and insulting. Also since many current-day burners are actual former hippies, it's also not very accurate.

Burn"er (?), n.

1.

One who, or that which, burns or sets fire to anything.

2.

The part of a lamp, gas fixture, etc., where the flame is produced.

Bunsen's burner Chem., a kind of burner, invented by Professor Bunsen of Heidelberg, consisting of a straight tube, four or five inches in length, having small holes for the entrance of air at the bottom. Illuminating gas being also admitted at the bottom, a mixture of gas and air is formed which burns at the top with a feebly luminous but intensely hot flame. -- Argand burner, Rose burner, etc. See under Argand, Rose, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.