Burton is also a company which makes a wide variety of snowboarding merchandise. They are most known for their boards, but they make just about anything involving snowboarding. Apparently, someone by the name of Mr Burton actually pioneered the sport, and back when it was actually 'alternative' and new, Burton was an underground company of sorts. Now that snowboarding is basically most young people's alternative to skiing, Burton is a quite large company. They do make some good stuff; my friend has a Burton board and really likes it. However, many of the smaller companies make boarding merchandise which may be better.


  • update: my friend's burton snowboard later delaminated (due to the cold!?!) in Colorado and started coming apart. He sent it back and they did repair it, however it is still somewhat strange that it happened at all. My snowboard is a Ride and ive never had any problems with it, except when skiiers crash into it.
  • An excellent beer (real ale) if kept right, warm and rich, but so sensitive to bad handling that it is, in the average pub, horrible. It is both the best and the worst beer I have ever tasted, and I wouldn't recommend trying it first in a pub you don't know. See how they keep their other beers then, if they're good, go for a Burton.

    That old slang expression meaning to disappear, to go out somewhere, may derive from the attractive properties of Burton beer. It is an old variety, and is of course brewed in Burton on Trent, one of the traditional brewing centres of England - possibly because of the quality of its water.

    I can't quote the exact figures, but it was formerly rated at about 4.5% or 4.6%, until they realized that fermentation in the barrel brought it up to something more like 4.8% or more, which is how it feels.

    For many years I lived on Burton. Far too much of it. At one point they tried to introduce a lower-alcohol version, and used my favourite pub as a test site, because they did so much of it. My friends and I simply boycotted the place, with apologies to our friend the landlord, for three weeks, until they withdrew the muck.

    They have again largely withdrawn the original Burton, and it's much harder to come by these days. Bastards.

    Bur"ton (?), n. [Cf. OE. & Prov. E. bort to press or indent anything.] Naut.

    A peculiar tackle, formed of two or more blocks, or pulleys, the weight being suspended of a hook block in the bight of the running part.

     

    © Webster 1913.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.