Byron Kilbourn was born somewhere in Connecticut in 1801 and spent his youth in Ohio where he became a surveyor and land speculator.

In 1834, he moved to Wisconsin to survey areas inside of Sheboygan and Manitowoc counties. He immediately purchased a 160 acre parcel of land west of the Milwaukee River, with an eye towards development. A piece of land equal in size to that purchased east of the river by his rival Solomon Juneau.

Both men spent the next decade promoting and building up their settlements seperately, resulting in The Bridge War of 1845.

After settling their disputes the settlements were merged, along with the settlement of George Walker to the south, and the city of Milwaukee was created with Juneau as mayor.

Kilbourn got himself elected mayor twice, once in 1848, and again in 1854. Nothing of note happened during his reign.

Except one thing, in 1858 a railroad company he owned was exposed as using massive bribes to get juicy government land grants. No one seemed to care though. Robber barons win again.

In 1868, he moved to Jacksonville, Florida due to ill health. Take that Wisconsin!

He died there in 1870. He is still dead.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.