"“…It is built to stand for ages, and it is probable that this hall will intertwine itself with the history of our country.” Andrew Carnegie, at the laying of the cornerstone.

1891- Symphony Hall on West 57th Street and Seventh Avenue in New York City (just south of Central Park)

Tel: (212) 903 9600 / (212) 247 7800

This is one of the best venues for concert perfomances from both the audience and the performer's standpoints. Built in the 1890's by the self-styled "Improver of Mankind", Andrew Carnegie. The hall has nearly perfect acoustics. Opening night was conducted by none other than Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky who debuted his own composition. The building was threatened with demolition in the 1950s after the New York Philharmonic Orchestra moved out to go to the Linconln Center. But due to the efforts of Isaac Stern the city of New York purchased the building and created a non-profit organization to restore the building.

If you ever get here, you've made it!

A list of people who played there would fill a very large book.

Some of the more famous who performed there include:

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

"Practice, practice, practice...."

Related nodes:


Source: www.carnegiehall.org/ www.essentialbigapple.com/carnegie.html www.journalofantiques.com/Jan03/featurejan03.htm Last Updated 04.04.04

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.