The CCBBA Karate Curriculum Purple Belt To Blue Belt

The blue belt is considered the first "advanced" grade in Karate.   At this point, the student can perform some impressive techniques and has earned the right to the pride they feel in their accomplishments thus far. To earn the blue belt, the student must have spent many hours in class as well as additional practice time on their own.  They will have been introduced to all the major techniques though mastery of much of what they know still lies in the future.  The blue color is associated with the Chinese notion of strength and power rather than the western link to sadness.

Blue Belt Graduation Requirements

  1. White Belt Basics
  2. Gold belt Combinations
  3. Green belt Combinations
  4. Purple belt Combinations
  5. Four/Six Count Side Kick
  6. Three/Four Count Round Kick
  7. One Minute Balance Kicks
  8. One Step Counters (1-8)
  9. Fast Rhythm Sparring
  10. Slow Free Sparring
  11. Kam Sah Form (Discipline)
  12. Kyu Yool Form (Respect)
  13. Jayoo Form (Freedom)
  14. Chosan Form (Ancestors)
  15. Jungyee Form (Justice)
  16. Chon Ji Form (Beginnings)
  17. Self-Defense (1-10) plus followup
  18. Situational Self Defense 1 & 2
  19. Speech: "Strength In The Body"
  20. Attendance: 36 Classes
  21. Physical fitness 25 perfect military-style pushups, 100 crunch situps, 400 jumping jacks
  22. Weight training Three sets of eight repetitions curls, flys, bench press, wrist curls.

Technique Descriptions & Discussion

Purple Belt Combinations 
  1. Front punch, lunge punchreverse side kick, back punch
  2. Front hook kick, back leg round kick, reverse side kick, back punch.
  3. Front round kick, reverse side kick, back ridge hand.
Jung Yee Form (Justice)

Ready Position: Upright stance with hands in x-block at chest level. All directions assume that you are facing north. 

  1. Step west into a traditional back stance and execute a left down block.
  2. Right back punch.
  3. Turn 180 degrees clockwise to face east and step into a back stance with a right down block.
  4. Left back punch.
  5. Bring the feet together, facing east, then step north into a back stance with a left chop block.
  6. Right back punch.
  7. Left chop block.
  8. Step north with the right foot and execute a high right chop.
  9. Spin 180 degrees counterclockwise ending with the left foot forward in a back stance and chop block.
  10. Right back punch and kihap.
  11. Step north with the right foot into a back stance and right chop block.
  12. Left back punch.
  13. Right chop block.
  14. Turn 270 degrees counterclockwise into a back stance with a low left chop block.
  15. Right back punch.
  16. Bring the feet together toes pointing north, then step west with the right foot into a back stance and a left back punch.
  17. Left back punch.
  18. Bring the feet together, toes pointing west, then step south with the left foot into a back stance and a chop block.
  19. Right back punch.
  20. Left chop block.
  21. With the right foot, step north into a traditional front stance with a low fist x-block.
  22. Open hand x-block above your head.
  23. Open hands upward block then right punch, left punch, right punch.
  24. Step back with the right foot into a left leg front stance with a low fist x-block.
  25. Open hand x-block above your head.
  26. Open hands upward block then right punch, left punch, right punch.
  27. Bring the right foot next to the left foot in an upright stance.
  28. Left leg front kick.
  29. Right leg round kick continuing into a right tornado kick.
  30. Right elbow strike to left palm from a horse stance and kihap.
  31. Right leg forward in a back stance and low chop block.
  32. Left back punch.
  33. Turn 270 degrees counterclockwise and step out with the left foot into a back stance and low chop block.
  34. Right back punch.
  35. Bring the feet together, toes pointing north, then step east with the right foot into a back stance and low chop block
  36. Left back punch and kihap.
Chon Ji Form (Beginnings)

The literal meaning of Chong-Ji is "heaven and earth," which symbolizes the creation of the world or the beginning of history.

Ready Position: Parallel ready stance with your feet at shoulder's width and your two fists touching at belt level in front of you . All directions assume that you are facing north. 

  1. Step west with the left  foot into a front stance and execute a low left fist block. Kihap.
  2. Step west with the right foot into a front stance and execute a right middle punch.
  3. Pivot on the left foot 180 degrees clockwise to turn east, step into a right front stance with a right low fist block.
  4. Step east with the left foot into a front stance and execute a left middle punch.
  5. Pivot on the right foot to turn north, 90 degrees counterclockwise into a left front stance with a left low fist block.
  6. Step north with the right foot into a front stance and execute a right middle punch.
  7. Pivot on the left foot 180 degrees clockwise to turn south, step into a right front stance with a right low fist block.
  8. Step south with the left foot into a front stance and execute a left middle punch. Kihap.
  9. Pivot on the right foot east 90 degrees into a back stance with a inside middle fist block.
  10. Step east with the right foot into a front stance and execute a right middle punch.
  11. Pivot on the left foot 180 degrees clockwise to turn west, step into a right front stance with a right low fist block.
  12. Step west with the left foot into a front stance and execute a left middle punch.
  13. Pivot on the left foot 90 degrees counterclockwise to turn south, step into a right front stance with a right low fist block.
  14. Step south with the right foot into a front stance and execute a right middle punch.
  15. Pivot on the left foot 180 degrees clockwise to turn north, step into a right front stance with a right low fist block.
  16. Step north with the left foot into a front stance and execute a left middle punch.
  17. Step north with the right foot into a front stance and execute a right middle punch.
  18. Step backwards with the right foot into a left front stance and execute a left middle punch.
  19. Step backwards with the left foot into a right front stance and execute a right middle punch. Kihap.
Situational Self Defense

Situational self defense drills build confidence by simulating an actual combat situation that the student might encounter outside the Karate studio.  The scenario presented is adapted to the age and gender of the student and may usefully be derived by asking students for suggestions.  Once a scenario is derived, each student picks a partner and practices both the attacking and defending roles.  Here is one simple scenario:

Attacker:  Advancing on the defender from behind and saying loudly, "Hey there you slack-jawed gap-toothed maggot-infested slimeball.  I hate your guts and I'm going to beat you to a bloody pulp."

Defender: Turning so that only his side faces the attacker and keeping both arms free to block an attack, saying "Gosh, you seem a decent fellow, there's really no reason for us to fight, let's just let this go for now. Shall we?"

Attacker: Coming closer and menacing with a push to the shoulder, saying, "Why you low life sissy wimp.  Just looking in your general direction makes me want to spew chunks.  I'm going to hit you so hard that you'll think it's tomorrow."

Defender: Realizing that this situation will come to blows, makes both hands into hard fists with the thumbs wrapped tightly outside of the clenched fingers.  Closes the mouth tightly with the tongue inside and adopts a ready position.  The defender makes the decision to fight and prepares to attack the instant the next word is spoken by the attacker.  Waiting like a coiled spring.

Attacker: "I..."

Defender: Raises both arms into blocking position, then delivers a low side kick to the attacker's knee, steps forward into a back fist to the attacker's nose and finishes with a back punch to the attacker's stomach.  This is followed by a rush at the attacker and grappling to get them down on the ground.  

Once the attacker is on the ground the defender asks, "Okay, I'm ready to stop now, are you?" while standing over the attacker with menace.   If the attacker wants to continue, the defender should prevent them from getting up off the ground by pushing or kicking until the attacker yields. If the attacker gets to their feet, they should immediately be attacked with a kick or punch intended to put them back down on the ground.  Being on the ground is intensely demoralizing and will end a fight quickly with the least damage to both parties. Once the attacker yields, the fight is over and the defender should leave the area quickly without further discussion.

Three Count Hook Kick

The hook kick is one of the most beautiful techniques in Karate.  The striking surfaces available include the heel, ball of the foot and toes.  The target areas for the hook kick range from the abdomen to above the head for long limbed students.  The Axe Kick utilizes a hook to actually smash the opponent to the ground through a strike on the top of the head, or shoulders. 

Count kicks are executed one discrete step at a time allowing the student to focus their attention and effort on correct form, and balance.  The three count hook kick is executed as follows:

  1. Up and Pivot.  Point the standing leg heel at the target.  This movement "cocks" the leg as if for a side kick.  The hands are held high, protecting the face.  The heel of the standing leg is pointed at the target aligning the body for a faster and stronger motion.  The knee of the kicking leg is tucked close to the body with the heel leading the kick and the toes pointed slightly back and down.
  2. Kick.  The kicking leg is snapped out at a 45 degree angle away from the opponent.  As the kicking leg is extended, the foot and heel are hooked toward the opponent such that contact is made at the instant of maximum velocity. If the kick is landed, the full weight of the body is brought to bear on increasing the weight and power of the kick.  If the kick is not landed, it should be recovered fully with the knee back in a cocked position. The heel, instep, ball or toe of the kicking foot may contact the target first.  The hook kick can be executed above waist level, and is especially effective against the shoulders and head.  For count kicks, the hook kick should be belt level or higher.
  3. Down.  The kicking leg should be lowered as the student resumes a normal fighting stance.
Slow Sparring 

The transition from rhythm sparring to free sparring is a gradual and non-threatening one.  Many students are wary of free sparring with an aggressive opponent.  Girls don't like to "fight" with boys and little kids don't like to "fight" big kids.  Slow free sparring allows both the attacker and the defender to function at a speed that allows them to think about what is happening and formulate their response.  

Generally the opponents are each allowed to be the attacker for three or four linked techniques, then they switch sides and continue.  The pace of the sparring will differ for each pair and should be adjusted to the point where each attack can be successfully anticipated and blocked.  Students should be encouraged to try using some of the combinations they have used as attacks in slow sparring.


Want More?

CCBBA Karate Curriculum | Gold belt | Green belt | Purple belt | Blue belt | Red belt | 1st Degree Brown belt | 2nd Degree Brown belt | Black belt | Tae Kwon Do Terminology | Tae Kwon Do | Karate | Martial Arts

Acknowlegements:  Muchas Gracias to the steadfast and resolute Ms. T for her astute and insightful editorial assistance, also to the thaumaturgic dannye for explicating the intricacies of multi-volume noding.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.