The CCBBA Karate Curriculum White Belt to Gold Belt

The beginning student is provided with a new white uniform and a white belt to wear with it.  Unlike judo, which often makes use of the belt itself as a handhold during sparring, the Karate belt serves a purely ceremonial purpose, indicating the rank of the student.  In the Karate school, different functions and responsibilities are assigned based on belt level. For example students above blue belt in rank are required to assist in teaching classes for the lower belts.  

A white belt is provided to a new student in recognition of their commitment to join the school and their desire to learn the martial arts.  The whiteness of the belt itself expresses both the absence of color as in a painting, and the presence of all colors at once as in natural light.  Thus the new student is both expected to strive for an empty Zen-mind to absorb the knowledge being imparted, and at the same time, dig deeply into the wealth of experience that he or she has accumulated in life to date.

The gold belt symbolizes the richness of the knowledge the student has begun to acquire.

Gold Belt Graduation Requirements

  1. White Belt Basics
  2. Four Count Side Kick
  3. One Step Sparring (1-3)
  4. Kam Sah Form (Respect)
  5. Kyu Yool Form (Discipline)
  6. Self-Defense (1-5)
  7. Speech "What Karate Means to Me"
  8. Attendance: 28 Classes
  9. Physical fitness One perfect military-style pushup, 20 crunch situps, 100 jumping jacks
  10. Weight training Three sets of eight repetitions curls, flys, bench press, wrist curls.

Technique Descriptions & Discussion

The white belt basics are as follows:
  1. Offensive &  Defensive Front Punch.  Performed with either arm.
  2. Offensive & Defensive Back Punch.  Performed with either arm.
  3. Front Leg Front Kick
  4. Back Leg Front Kick
  5. Front Leg Side Kick
  6. Back Leg Side Kick.
Fighting Stance

Stand in an upright position, knees locked, with the leading foot forward and the trailing foot behind to form a shoulder width  "L" shape.  The hands are raised in front of your face with the elbows tucked in. 

One Step Sparring

Find a partner and face each other.  Bow to each other. One student begins by throwing one of the six offensive white belt basics.  The second partner blocks the technique, steps back and throws an offensive technique.  Continue sparring back and forth in a steady rhythm for a three minute round.

Self Defense Techniques 1 - 5
  1. Front Choke.  The attacker grabs your neck with both hands and attempts to choke you.  Using your index and middle finger, make a Knife Finger and push it directly into the hollow below the adams apple.  If this doesn't work, without pulling your hands back, reach up through the attacker's arms and gouge his eyes.  If the attacker is too tall, or his arms are too long, a front kick to the groin with the toes pointed deeply into the groin cavity will dislodge all but the most persistent individual.
  2. Rear Grab.  The attacker comes from behind and grabs you in the shoulder.  Raise the arm that the attacker is touching straight up, above your head.  Now spin quickly to face the attacker and as you spin lower your raised arm to trap the attacker's arms.  At the same time, raise your knee to complete a groin or abdomen kick.
  3. Wrist Grab. Break the attacker's hold by raising the wrist the attacker has grabbed straight up.  At the same time, and grab the attacker's wrist and execute a defensive side kick to the attacker's ribs.
  4. Shoulder Grab.  The attacker who is standing face to face with you reaches across and grabs you by the shoulder with one hand.  Grab the attacker's hand on your shoulder just above the thumb.  You hand should be covering the attacker's fingers. Now twist the attacker's wrist up and towards yourself.  If you have done this correctly, the attacker will follow you with alacrity.
  5. Lapel Grab.  The attacker grabs your shirt at the neck and pulls you towards them.  Place one hand on the attacker's chin and the other hand on the top of the attacker's head.  Now twist your two hands in opposite directions to take the attacker down.
Four Count Side Kick

The side kick is the most powerful technique in Karate.  A well executed jump side kick can break many boards, or even a concrete block.  Correctly executing the side kick is one of the most daunting challenges to the beginner.  Count kicks are executed one discrete step at a time allowing the student to focus their attention and effort on correct form, and balance.  The four count side kick is executed as follows:

  1. Up and Pivot.  Point the standing leg heel at the target.  This movement "cocks" the leg like a taut spring.  The hands are held high, protecting the face.  The heel of the standing leg is pointed at the target aligning the body for a faster and stronger motion.  The knee of the kicking leg is tucked close to the body with the heel leading the kick and the toes pointed slightly back and down.
  2. Out.  The kicking leg is thrust out in a snapping motion and held completely extended with the leg and knee locked out.  The heel of the kicking foot should contact the target first.  The side kick can be executed at any level, and is equally effective against knees, abdomen and head.  For count kicks, the side kick should be belt level or higher.
  3. In.  The kicking leg should be retracted back to the up and pivot position.
  4. Down.  The kicking leg is lowered and the student should resume a normal fighting stance.
Kam Sah Form (Respect)

Ready Position: Attention stance, hands at your side, eyes straight ahead, shoulders slightly forward. All directions assume that you are facing north.

  1. Bring both hands up to an Open Hand X-block with the left hand in front, saying "One sir."
  2. Arm fold for left chop block, saying "Two sir."
  3. Left step with a west left chop block, saying "Three sir."
  4. Right back punch saying "Four sir."
  5. Feet together and arm fold for a right chop block, saying "Five sir."
  6. Right step with an east right chop block, saying "Six sir."
  7. Left back punch saying "Seven sir."
  8. Feet together with an Open Hand X-block, saying "Eight sir."
  9. Attention position hands at your side, eyes straight ahead, shoulders slightly forward, saying "Nine sir."
  10. Bow, with eyes straight ahead, saying "Ten sir."
Kyu Yool Form (Discipline)

Ready Position: Attention stance, hands at your side, eyes straight ahead, shoulders slightly forward. All directions assume that you are facing north.

  1. Bring both hands up to an open hand x-block, saying "One sir."
  2. Drop down to a pushup position stance, saying "Two sir."
  3. Do one complete military style pushup, saying "Three sir."
  4. Do one complete military style pushup, "Four sir."
  5. Do one complete military style pushup, saying "Five sir."
  6. Do one complete military style pushup, saying "Six sir."
  7. Do one complete military style pushup, "Seven sir."
  8. Jump back to a standing position, feet together with an open hand x-block, saying "Eight sir."
  9. Attention position hands at your side, eyes straight ahead, shoulders slightly forward, saying "Nine sir."
  10. Bow, with eyes straight ahead, saying "Ten sir."

Want More?

CCBBA Karate Curriculum | Gold belt | Green belt | Purple belt | Blue belt | Red belt | 1st Degree Brown belt | 2nd Degree Brown belt | Black belt | Tae Kwon Do Terminology | Tae Kwon Do | Karate | Martial Arts

Acknowlegements:  Muchas Gracias to the steadfast and resolute Ms. T for her astute and insightful editorial assistance, also to the thaumaturgic dannye for explicating the intricacies of multi-volume noding.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.