The CCBBA Karate Curriculum 2nd Degree Brown Belt to Black Belt

By the time the Karate student earns their second degree brown belt, the black belt has been a dominant goal in their life for several years.  Suddenly that distant goal is within their grasp.  Well, almost.  Most students take at least six months of very intense practice to prepare for their black belt test, and a full year is not uncommon.  The black belt test is very different from any of the tests that came before it.  It is physically, emotionally and psychologically challenging.  Everything that has been learned at all belt levels is fair game on the black belt test.  Power, as well as perfect technique are expected, and the physical fitness requirements increase to demand a completely different training regimen outside the Karate school.  

The second degree brown belt student only learns one new form in preparing for the black belt test, but it is very showy and dramatic.  East Meets West is a martial ballet performed to the introductory bars of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.  The second degree brown belt is essentially a black belt already.  They are responsible for a significant portion of the teaching responsibilities at the school and are expected to assist in the general operation wherever possible.  By the time they are eligible to test for their black belt, these students know they are ready.  Despite their readiness, many students fail their black belt test the first time.  The performance pressure is very intense and despite careful preparation, students who "just blank out," the first time they test aren't uncommon. 

Black Belt Graduation Requirements

  1. White Belt Basics
  2. Gold belt Combinations
  3. Green belt Combinations
  4. Purple belt Combinations
  5. Blue belt Combinations
  6. Red belt Combinations
  7. Count Kicks (Front, Side, Round, Hook)
  8. One Minute Balance Kicks
  9. Combination Counters (1-8)
  10. Fast Rhythm Sparring
  11. Free Sparring (Bull in the Ring, nine minutes)
  12. Point Sparring
  13. Chon Ji Form (Beginnings)
  14. Kam Sah Form (Respect)
  15. Kyu Yool Form (Discipline)
  16. Jayoo Form (Freedom)
  17. Chosan Form (Ancestors)
  18. Jungyee Form (Justice)
  19. Pyung Fa Form (Peace)
  20. Yul Kok (Philosophy)
  21. Hwa Rang Form (Flowering Youth)
  22. Chung Mu Form (Regrettable Death)
  23. Might for Right Form (Exodus)
  24. East Meets West Form (Beethoven)
  25. Breaking (Two Board, Knife Hand)
  26. Breaking (Two Board, Front Punch)
  27. Breaking (Two Board, Side Kick)
  28. Breaking (Two Board, Hook Kick)
  29. Breaking (Two Board, Round Kick)
  30. Rolls, Forward, Left & Right Side
  31. Rolls, Jumping 3 foot obstacle
  32. Self-Defense (1-10) plus followup
  33. Stage Fighting 1-4
  34. Speech: "Maturity"
  35. Run two miles in under 19 minutes
  36. Hold breath for three minutes
  37. 25 military-style pushups without stopping
  38. 240 "One-Inch" situps without stopping (3 sets of 80 reps)
  39. Attendance: 54 Classes
  40. 20 Lessons Teaching (all levels)

Technique Descriptions & Discussion

One-Inch Situps

The one-inch situp is designed to develop the abdominal muscles by focusing on them in three sections: upper, middle and lower.  For the first set, lie on your back with our knees bent and your feet flat on the floor as close to your buttocks as possible.  Extend your arms with your palms open so that your fingertips are pointed at your knee caps.  Now, without moving your feet or legs, use your stomach muscles to move your fingertips as far as possible toward, or past, your knees.  This is your starting position.  Now, from the starting position, push your fingers further along your kneecaps, at least an inch, but more if you can. You'll only be able to hold this extra extension for a second, then relax back to the starting position.  That small motion is a single one-inch situp.  Repeat the motion quickly until you have reached your desired number of repetitions, then relax with your back flat against the floor.  

For the second one-inch situp postion, straighten your legs, feet together, and raise your feet to a 45 degree angle pointing half way to the ceiling.  Now, without moving your feet or legs, use your stomach muscles to move your fingertips as far as possible toward, or past, your knees.  This is your new starting position.  From the new starting position, push your fingers further along your kneecaps, at least an inch, but more if you can. Repeat as before until you have reached your desired number of repetitions, then relax with your back flat against the floor. 

For the final one-inch situp postion, straighten your legs, feet together, and raise your feet to a position two inches off the floor.  Now, without moving your feet or legs, use your stomach muscles to move your fingertips as far as possible toward your knees, so that your fingertips rest on your thighs.  This is your new starting position.  From the new starting position, push your fingers further toward your kneecaps, at least an inch, but more if you can. Repeat as before until you have reached your desired number of repetitions, then relax with your back flat against the floor. 

Unless you already have strong abdominal muscles, you may want to start with 10 to 20 repetitions in each position and three sets overall.  Black belt students are required to do this exercise in sets of 80 repetitions prior to testing.  Strong abs not only look good, but they allow you to take a strike to the stomach area without damage.

Bull in the Ring

Bull in the Ring is a free sparring exercise designed to build confidence and endurance in a fighting situation.  A group of five or more students are gathered into a loose circle ten feet or so across.  A student designated as "The Bull," initially enters the ring with another student as a sparring partner.  After bowing, they begin a three-minute round of free sparring.  If either of the combatants bumps up against the ring, they are pushed back towards the center.  At the end of the round, the Bull stays in the ring and a fresh combatant steps in to replace them.  This continuous sparring with fresh opponents is extremely fatiguing and even the strongest Bull will be worn out after a very few rounds.  Bull in the Ring simulates some of the surprising exhaustion experienced in a street fight, and helps the student learn to marshal their resources and utilize defensive tactics to avoid punishment even when they are too tired to fight back.

East Meets West Form (Beethoven)

East meets West is a martial arts ballet performed to the tune of the first bars of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.

Upright stance with the open hands in an x-block in front of the chest.

  1. Without changing stance, raise your arms into a "V" block above your head.
  2. Step north with a high step into a bent knee upright stance as you execute a right mid punch with the left palm on top of the right elbow.
  3. Step north with the right foot, then pivot south 180 degrees counterclockwise on the right foot to assume a back stance with the left foot forward as you execute a middle chop block with the left hand.
  4. Step behind with the left foot to assume a back stance with the right foot forward as you execute a high chop block with the right hand.
  5. Without changing stance, execute a back punch with the left fist.
  6. Execute a front leg front kick with the right leg.
  7. Execute a back leg round kick with the left leg then set down in a back stance with the left leg forward.
  8. Without changing stance, execute a back punch with the right fist.
  9. Step south with the right leg into a back stance with the right leg forward as you execute a high chop block with the right hand.
  10. Step back to assume a back stance, facing south with the left leg forward as you execute a high chop block with the left hand.
  11. Without changing stance, execute a back punch with the right hand.
  12. Execute a jump front leg front kick with the left leg.
  13. Execute a high twin punch above your head.
  14. Assume an upright stance facing south as you raise the arms into a "V" above your head.
  15. Pivot north 180 degrees counterclockwise on your right foot and assume a back stance with the left foot forward as you execute a middle chop block with the left hand.
  16. Step north with the right foot to assume an upright stance facing north as you execute a middle chop block with the right hand.
  17. Step north in a 360 degree turn counterclockwise to assume an upright stance facing north as you execute a high chop block with the left hand.
  18. Without changing stance, execute a back punch with the right hand.
  19. Pivot south 180 degrees counterclockwise on your left foot and assume a back stance with the right foot forward as you execute a middle chop block with the right hand.
  20. Step south with the left foot to assume an upright stance facing south as you execute a middle chop block with the left hand.
  21. Step south in a 360 degree turn counterclockwise to assume an upright stance facing south as you execute a high chop block with the right hand.
  22. Without changing stance, execute a back punch with the left hand.
  23. Step south with the left leg into a back stance as you execute a middle chop with the left hand.  Then execute a back punch with the right hand.
  24. Step back with the left leg into a back stance with the right leg forward as you execute a low chop with the right hand.
  25. Bring the left foot to the right foot, then step south into a front stance with the right foot forward as you execute a high chop with the right hand.
  26. Step back with the right foot to assume a back stance facing south with the left leg forward as you execute a low chop with the left hand.
  27. Bring the right foot to the left foot, then step south into a front stance with the left foot forward as you execute a high chop with the left hand.
  28. Step back with the left foot to assume a back stance facing south with the right leg forward as you execute a low chop with the right hand.
  29. Turn your head 180 degrees counterclockwise to face north as you assume a back stance with the left leg forward.
  30. Without changing stance, execute a back ridge hand with the right hand.
  31. Step north to execute a back leg round kick with the right leg.
  32. Continue turning counterclockwise to execute a tornado kick with the right leg.
  33. Land the kick in a horse stance facing west as you execute twin fist blocks, (left up, right down) then twin blocks (twin blocks left down, right up), twin blocks (both up), twin blocks (both down) and, a front punch with the right fist.
  34. Jump straight up and spin 360 degrees counterclockwise in a jump turn.  Land in a back stance with the right foot forward and execute a right chop block.
  35. Pivot south 180 degrees counterclockwise on the right foot to assume a back stance with the left leg forward.
  36. Step south to execute a right leg crescent kick with a left hand slap
  37. Land the kick in a horse stance facing east as you execute an elbow strike with the right elbow into the left palm, then  twin fist blocks, (left up, right down).
  38. Turn north 90 degrees clockwise to assume a front stance with the left leg forward and execute a slow press block with the right hand.
  39. Step north with the right leg to assume a front stance with the right leg forward and execute a slow press block with the left hand.
  40. Step north with the left foot crossing the right foot, then step north with the right leg and pivot south 180 degrees counterclockwise on the left foot to assume a back stance with the left leg forward.
  41. Without changing stance,  execute a slow inside chop block with the left hand.
  42. Step south with the right foot as you execute a slow chop block with the right hand.
  43. Step south with the left foot into a back stance with the left leg forward as you execute a middle chop block with the left hand.
  44. Without changing stance, execute a back punch with the right hand.
  45. Without changing stance, execute a middle chop with the left hand
  46. Step back with the left leg into a back stance with the right leg forward as you execute a high chop block with the right hand.
  47. Step back with the right leg into a back stance with the left leg forward as you execute a high chop block with the left hand.
  48. Execute a back leg round kick with the right leg.
  49. Execute a back leg round kick with the left leg.
  50. Set down into a back stance with the left leg forward as you execute a left high chop.
  51. Step forward with the right leg into a back stance as you execute a high chop with the right hand.
  52. Without changing stance execute a back punch with the left fist.
  53. Execute a high chop block with the right hand.
  54. Pivot east 90 degrees counterclockwise on the right foot into a horse stance facing north as you execute a middle knife hand chop with the right hand.
  55. Without changing stance,  execute twin fist blocks, (left up, right down) then twin blocks (twin blocks left down, right up), twin blocks (both up), twin blocks (both down) and, a front punch with the right fist.
  56. Without changing stance,  execute a twin punch to the right.
  57. Pivot south 180 degrees clockwise on the right foot into a horse stance facing south as you cross your fists at waist level.
  58. Without changing stance, execute a twin inside fist block.
  59. Without changing stance,  execute twin fist blocks, (left up, right down) then twin blocks (twin blocks left down, right up), twin blocks (both up), twin blocks (both down) and, a front punch with the right fist.
  60. Without changing stance,  execute a twin punch to the right.
  61. Pivot north 90 degrees counterclockwise on the right foot to assume a back stance with the left leg forward as you execute a middle chop block with the left hand.
  62. Step north to execute a back leg round kick with the right leg.
  63. Land in a back stance with the right leg forward as you execute an middle elbow strike with the left hand pushing the right elbow.
  64. Turn your head south 180 degrees counterclockwise as you assume a back stance with the left leg forward and execute a left middle chop block.
  65. Step south to execute a back leg round kick with the right leg.
  66. Land in a back stance with the right leg forward as you execute an middle elbow strike with the left hand pushing the right elbow.
  67. Turn your head north 180 degrees counterclockwise as you assume a back stance with the left leg forward and execute a left middle chop block.
  68. Step north to execute a back leg round kick with the right leg.
  69. Step north to execute your highest front leg side kick with the right leg.
  70. Assume an attention stance facing north as you raise your arms into a "V" block above your head.

Want More?

CCBBA Karate Curriculum | Gold belt | Green belt | Purple belt | Blue belt | Red belt | 1st Degree Brown belt | 2nd Degree Brown belt | Black belt | Tae Kwon Do Terminology | Tae Kwon Do | Karate | Martial Arts

Acknowlegements:  Muchas Gracias to the steadfast and resolute Ms. T for her astute and insightful editorial assistance, also to the thaumaturgic dannye for explicating the intricacies of multi-volume noding.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.