Another name for a wire. The terms are almost interchangeble, but a wire usually means single item, while a cable can consist of many wires. Cable is also a term used to refer to the transmission of TV signals over a wire. You can get many channels over cable that you can't get over broadcast TV. Cable is also starting to provide high speed Internet access to the home using a cable modem.

An ornamental knitting stitch created by crossing one group of stitches over another (usually an equal number) of stitches. Cables compress knitted fabric horizontally. Cables are usually made to stand out from the body of the fabric by being bordered by purl stitches, or less commonly by seed or garter stitch.

Cable is a comic book character, by Marvel Comics Group. His first appearance was in New Mutants #87.

Cable is 6'8", 350 pounds, and half cybernetic. There is reason for the cybernetics, though: a techo-organic virus was introduced into his body by Apocalypse when he was a baby. He has significant telekinetic and telepathic ability as well, but most are focussed into himself, to keep the virus from spreading any more. He has white-gray hair, and is a widower. His full name is Nathan Christopher Charles Summers, and has also went by the name Nathan Dayspring Askani'son. He is the son of Scott Summers (Cyclops) and Madelyne Pryor (the Goblin Queen). He was briefly married to Aliya (Jenskot), and he had a son named Tyler (Genesis). His age can be estimated at 45 - 50 years old.

It's difficult to give a timeline to Cable's history in the Marvel Universe, because the character has went forward and backward in time several times. Stories involving the X-Men and others affiliated with them are fraught with alternate timelines, and Cable is no different: a member of Clan Askani came back in time to tell Cyclops that they could save his son. Clan Askani is from 2000 years in the future, and they told Cyclops that the baby Nathan was to be a savior in their time. Apocalypse was present in this time as well, an overlord, leader of the New Canaanites.

Clan Askani promised Cyclops that they would cure Nathan of the techno-virus, but Mother Askani did not believe Nathan would survive. A clone was created, who grew up to become Stryfe. Teenaged Nathan eventually defeated Apocalypse in the future, but he had not yet fulfilled his mission as the Askani'son - he was to defeat Stryfe and Apocalypse in the twentieth century as well.

Stryfe had formed a group of mutants called the Mutant Liberation Front (MLF). At this point, he took the name Cable, and much battling took place. Cable put together a group of New Mutants, called them X-Force, and took on MLF. This all culminated in a battle with Stryfe which took place on the moon. The fallout of the battle sent Stryfe and Cable forward in time again, to their own time.

Nothing of genuine note occurs in the Cable-related comics (and his own series) until the beginning of the Onslaught incident. Over time, Cable's predominantly latent mental abilities had started to show themselves. They became so strong that he couldn't control them at first, allowing his technovirus to spread through his body. He did gain control eventually.

Cable is a military strategist, and is proficient in many forms of hand-to-hand combat. He is a capable pilot and is able to use just about any weapon given to him. His telekinetic ability affords him some amount of great physical strength and endurance, as well as the ability to cause objects to levitate, and create invisible force fields.

Cable has been in such comics as X-Men, X-Force, New Mutants, he is presently in his own title, Cable, which at the time of this writing is at issue #100.


Sources, useful links:
  • http://www.marvel.com
  • http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Tower/5805/cerebrocab.html
  • http://cable.fanhosts.com/v4-main.html

Cable, is either a large rope or a chain of iron links. Rope cables are made of the best hemp or of wire, twisted into a mass of great compactness and strength. The circumference of hemp rope varies from about 3 inches to 26. A certain number of yarns are laid up left-handed to form a strand; three strands laid up right-handed make a hawser, and three hawsers laid up left-handed form a cable. The strength of a hemp cable of 18 inches circumference is about 60 tons, and for other dimensions the strength is taken to vary according to the cube of the diameter. Wire rope has within recent years largely taken the place of hemp for tow-line and hawsers on board ship.


Entry from Everybody's Cyclopedia, 1912.

Ca"ble (?), n. [F. Cable,m LL. capulum, caplum, a rope, fr. L. capere to take; cf. D., Dan., & G. rabel, from the French. See Capable.]

1.

A large, strong rope or chain, of considerable length, used to retain a vessel at anchor, and for other purposes. It is made of hemp, of steel wire, or of iron links.

2.

A rope of steel wire, or copper wire, usually covered with some protecting, or insulating substance; as, the cable of a suspension bridge; a telegraphic cable.

3. Arch

A molding, shaft of a column, or any other member of convex, rounded section, made to resemble the spiral twist of a rope; -- called also cable molding.

Bower cable, the cable belonging to the bower anchor. -- Cable road, a railway on which the cars are moved by a continuously running endless rope operated by a stationary motor. -- Cable's length, the length of a ship's cable. Cables in the merchant service vary in length from 100 to 140 fathoms or more; but as a maritime measure, a cable's length is either 120 fathoms (720 feet), or about 100 fathoms (600 feet, an approximation to one tenth of a nautical mile). -- Cable tier. (a) That part of a vessel where the cables are stowed. (b) A coil of a cable. -- Sheet cable, the cable belonging to the sheet anchor. -- Stream cable, a hawser or rope, smaller than the bower cables, to moor a ship in a place sheltered from wind and heavy seas. -- Submarine cable. See Telegraph. -- To pay out the cable, To veer out the cable, to slacken it, that it may run out of the ship; to let more cable run out of the hawse hole. -- To serve the cable, to bind it round with ropes, canvas, etc., to prevent its being, worn or galled in the hawse, et. -- To slip the cable, to let go the end on board and let it all run out and go overboard, as when there is not time to weigh anchor. Hence, in sailor's use, to die.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ca"ble (?), v. t.

1.

To fasten with a cable.

2. Arch.

To ornament with cabling. See Cabling.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ca"ble, v. t. & i. [imp. & p. p. Cabled (-b'ld); p. pr. & vb. n. Cabling (-bl�xce;ng).]

To telegraph by a submarine cable

[Recent]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.