A popular Canadian cocktail that originated in 1969 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. A caesar comprises of 1 ounce vodka, 4 ounces tomato-clam juice (typically Motts Clamato juice), and a dash of Worcestershire sauce with several splashes of horseradish. Most times, the caesar also comes with a stick of celery and sometimes a twist of lime.

Complete details can be found at: http://hotwired.lycos.com/cocktail/96/40/index4a.html

This drink is apparantly impossible to get in most parts of the US, since no one seems to carry Clamato juice. I know this is the case for sure in Sacramento, since no bartender I talked to there had ever heard of a Caesar.

A series of city building games by Sierra. The player acts as the ruler of a Roman city and needs to accomplish certain goals to win the favor of the current Caesar. By succesfully creating subsequently larger and more complicated cities that deal with increasingly difficult food, native and defensive problems the player can become Caesar. The series has improved greatly and I know that 2 and 3 are very fun. Caesar III presented a more realistic way of determining whether a structure was close enough to the housing to take effect, but the implementation of this was problematic. Each structer would send out a walker who would effect the houses passed by. The problem was that the walker's seemed to be the most idiotic people in the world. They weren't concerned at all where the housing was, and the algorithm for the paths they took was unfathomable. Besides this the game is actually very fun to play. Hopefully they'll work out the bugs and release a final definitive version.

Title: Caesar
Author: David Lester and Simon Bradbury
Released: 1993 by Impressions
No. of disks: unknown
HDD installable: Yes
Languages: English, German
RAM: 1meg required

Similar to the 1990 Centurion and detailed in the constructs of a roman city simulation. The player had to defend against attackers, appease the emperor with boys and gifts, while having secret aspirations of promotion to larger cities and finally becoming Caesar themselves (Caesar in this context being a title, like King or Queen - not just the one bloke).

So it's a just cross between SimCity and Populous. Power poles were instead lead water pipes. But it's a good one. Memorable for it's intuitive interface but complex game rules.

David now works at Sierra while continuing his efforts to help small business. His motto is "simplicity and depth"

Download a free full legal copy for DOS: <http://www.impressionsgames.com/caesar.html>

Caesar is a city, and empire simulation game, in the vein of Sim City. Caesar is harder than Sim City, as it requires economic finesse. The Caesar games are fun, and have broke off into several game series, Pharoh (and its add on pack), and Zeus. Caesar has a toltal of three games in its series, with Pharoh useing Caesar III's gameplay engine, I do find Pharoh to be better than the Caesar games. Allthough Ceasar III is a good game. Caesar II is also good, but is the hardest of them, allthough it isn't too hard. The Caesar series is one of the best game series in the history of computer games, don't miss out on Caesar III.

The ancient Romans, to begin with, didn't have much love for kings and emperors; even though their Republic was becoming more and more corrupt, they clung to their ideals. That's why when Augustus siezed power and became Rome's first true emperor, he did not call himself rex or imperator - the people would never have had it - but instead Caesar, after his predecessor, Julius. This established a healthy tradition of giving proper respect without actually mentioning the whole "emperor" thing. Its exact political meaning shifted over time, but by the end, Caesar = Emperor.

That's why today we have in German Kaiser and in Russian Czar, both of which mean emperor.

Cae"sar (?), n. [L.]

A Roman emperor, as being the successor of Augustus Caesar. Hence, a kaiser, or emperor of Germany, or any emperor or powerful ruler. See Kaiser, Kesar.

Malborough anticipated the day when he would be servilely flattered and courted by Caesar on one side and by Louis the Great on the other. Macaulay.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.