Calgary's NHL team. Formerly the Atlanta Flames, they moved to Calgary during the 1980 off-season. Winners of one (1) Stanley Cup in 1988-89, as well as the Presidents' Trophy in 1987-88 & 1988-89. They reached the Cup finals in the 2003/2004 playoffs, losing to the Tampa Bay Lightning in seven games--but along the way defeated all 3 western conference division champions (Vancouver, Detroit, and San Jose).

The Flames are the arch-rivals of provincial cousins the Edmonton Oilers. They play at the Canadian AirlinesPengrowth Saddledome, after having started out in the tiny Stampede Corral.

Famous former players: Joe Nieuwendyk, Theo Fleury, Mike Vernon, and Hockey Hall of Fame members Lanny McDonald and Joe Mullen.

Team colours : White, black, red and gold. The primary logo is a "flaming C" which derived from the "flaming A" used when the team was the Atlanta Flames. The Flames unveiled a third jersey in 1998 with a stylized horse's head snorting flames. In 2000, this third jersey became the official road jersey and the old red 'away' jersey was eliminated. A clever thing the Flames do with their jerseys is to use the flaming C and A badges for Captain and Assistant Captain on their jerseys.

Retired numbers:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.