An old highway that goes up the California Pacific coast from LA to San Francisco. It rides the cliffs the whole way, with amazing ocean vistas. Curvy and thrilling--okay, a bit white-knuckles for some of the way. Some of the curves give you almost no shoulder with nothing but a cliff down and a sheer wall up. So there's not much room for error. Plus, you're probably concentrating on driving so much your first few times that you don't actually get to enjoy the scenery. Therefore, if you're only going to do it once, pull over periodically and enjoy the crashing waves.

Most people don't take 1 to travel from point A to point B, because it takes a lot longer. Sometimes that's not the most important thing, though.

California Highway 1



History/Info:


California Highway 1 is on the top 3 to be one of the most scenic drives in the state. It is a really long highway, and passes through some of the most beautiful portions of the state. Parts such as Big Sur, the Golden Gate Bridge, and the redwoods, just to name a few. Although it is a very beautiful drive, it's not a nice road to maintain. The parts around Malibu, and Big Sur have been prone to mudslides since their opening days and in Los Angeles, the highway is a commuter's worst nightmare. Highway 1 used to be Alternate US 101.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.