Calvin's dad is, simply put, Calvin's dad in the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes. He was never given a name, but all we know is that he is Calvin's dad, he works at a business firm, he enjoys telling Calvin to "build character", and he hates reading Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooie.

It is revealed in the 10th Anniversary book that Calvin's dad is indeed, a patent lawyer. His original intent was to get Dachshund, but Calvin's Mom insisted on having a baby. Much to Calvin's consternation, he refuses to buy a computer, because the family already has a telephone and he hates that enough. He misses the days of mail, when you had time between talking to people. Christmas specials offend him because of their blatant commercialization of one of the holiest days of the year, and while in college, he had his picture taken with a keg and a t-shirt that said Party Naked.

An unfortunate factor in Calvin's Dad's life is that he is constantly behind in the polls. His policies on mandatory bedtimes, school attendance, and the backyard ski lift have left him struggling for voter approval. It seems he's not afraid of losing his position, however, informing Calvin that "some special interest groups are in for a surprise".

According to Calvin's dad, the sun sets in the West because of solar wind, and that very windy days are caused by the trees sneezing.

Calvin's Dad gave Calvin a correct explanation on how something worked JUST ONCE, and it was enough to scar Calvin for life. I present to you, verily, the greatest Calvin and Hobbes comic strip of all time (6-28-90):


Dad: Playing a record? I'll show you something interesting.

Calvin looks up at his dad.

Dad: Compare a point on the label with a point on the record's outer edge. They both make a complete circle in the same amount of time, right?

Calvin: Yeah...

Dad: But the point on the record's edge has to make a bigger circle in the same time, so it goes faster. See, two points on one disk move at two speeds, even though they both make the same revolutions per minute!

Calvin lies in bed, his eyes wide open, unable to sleep.


Honorable Mention #1: The world was black and white.



Honorable Mention #2 (11-28-90):


Calvin: Hey dad, I'll guess any number you're thinking of!  Go ahead, pick a number!

Dad: Mmm...OK, I've got it.

Calvin: Is it 92,376,051?

Dad: By golly, it is!

Calvin is dumbfounded.


Calvin: Wait a minute! You're just trying to get rid of me, aren't you?!

Dad: No, you're psychic. Go show mom.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.