Camosun College is a community college of some 18000 students, in Victoria, on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. It offers 70 academic, technical and vocational programs. The current average student age is 25, and 53% of the students are female.

The college president is Dr. Elizabeth Ashton.

The mission statement reads: Camosun College is a comprehensive educational institution providing our community with access to the knowledge and skills relevant to the future economic and social development of the region.

Camosun College first came about as part of the Greater Victoria School Board's Institute of Adult Studies in 1967. In 1970, residents of Victoria voted for the establishment of a college, and planned the "Juan de Fuca College". In 1971, "Camosun" was chosen as the name, and it merged with the BC Vocational School, becoming British Columbia's ninth community college. Since then, it has grown, and serves southern Vancouver Island, the Saanich Peninsula and the Gulf Islands.
Camosun College is the eighth largest employer in the city of Victoria.

Camosun has two main campuses; the Lansdowne Campus and the Interurban Campus.

The Lansdowne Campus is in Oak Bay, British Columbia, near to the University of Victoria, and offers university transfer, college preparatory and access programs as well as career, technical and vocational programs in arts, science, business, health and human services.

The Interurban Campus is 15 minutes away from downtown Saanich, British Columbia. It offers courses in trades, technology, business and access programs.

The college radio station is CKMO, at 103.1 on the fm dial.

See: British Columbia's Universities.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.