A liitle about...

Situated in a heavily wooded area of the Cactoctin Mountain in Maryland, Camp David is the official retreat of the President of the United States. It's located about 70 miles from Washington D.C.

Camp David is administered by the Military Office of the White House and is operated by the United States Navy. It is patrolled by armed guards from the United States Marine Corps in order to prevent any unauthorized person from entering.

A little history....

President Frankiln D. Roosevelt established the camp in 1942 as a retreat so that he could escape the summer heat of Washington. He chose the site because its elevation made it cool during the summer and the high location could provide adequate security.

Roosevelt called the camp "Shangri - La" after the name of the mountain kingdom from James Hilton's famous Lost Horizon. In 1945, Harry S. Truman made it the official presidential retreat. In 1953, President Dwight D. Eisenhower re-named it after his grandson David.

A listing of events, some noteworthy, some not, that have occurred at Camp David

FDR and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill discuss war strategy talks.
President Truman decides to drop the atomic bomb
President Eisenhower meets with Soviet Premier Khrushchev.
JFK meets with Eisenhower to discuss the Bay of Pigs invasion.
LBJ meets with aides to discuss Vietnam War strategy.
Nixon meets with Soviet Premier Brezhnev.
President Gerald Ford defended his pardon of Nixon for the Watergate scandal.
President Jimmy Carter meets with Anwar Sadat and Menachem Begin, this leads to the signing of the Camp David Accords.
President Ronald Reagan meets with British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.
President George Bush meets with Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev.
President Bill Clinton hosted a Mid East Summit
President George W. Bush hosted British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.