The Campanile, whose official designation is Sather Tower, is one of the trademark symbols of Cal, The University of California, Berkeley. Built as a gift to the University by the same Jane K. Sather who erected Sather Gate, another one of Berkeley's campus landmarks, the Campanile was designed by John Galen Howard after the Campanile de San Marco in Venice, Italy. The tower was completed in 1914, and now towers over the rest of the Berkeley skyline at a height of 301 feet.

The tower features a 61-bell carillon, which is played Monday through Saturday at noon and again at 6 pm. However, during final exam periods, the bells are silent after playing "They're Hanging Danny Deever in the Morning" at noon on the Friday before the start of finals. An elevator runs from the ground floor to the observation deck between 10 am and 4 pm; the view from the Campanile out to the San Francisco Bay is spectacular on days when low-lying clouds and fog are minimal. Admission is currently $1 for the general public.

It is rumored that the former Palaentology department still stores its fossils and bones in the Campanile. The Campanile is located in front of Le Conte Hall and is visble from almost every point on campus.

A campanile is also the landmark structure of Trinity College Dublin. This squat bell tower stands between Paliament Square and Library Square, facing Front Arch. I don't know a whole lot about its history, but its bells still rings to freak everybody out at exam time, and also for special occasions such as conferrings.

Cam`pa*ni"le (?), n. [It. campanile bell tower, steeple, fr. It. & LL. campana bell.] Arch.

A bell tower, esp. one built separate from a church.

Many of the campaniles od Italy are lofty and magnificent atructures. Swift.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.