About the Author.

Can You Keep A Secret? was written by the Author Sophie Kinsella who is the best-selling author of the 'Shopoholic' trilogy. Kinsella is an Author and financial journalist and unlike most of the women in her books she has a very good relationship with her bank manager. Although Kinsella says she is not a Shopohilic she admits that she does love a good spend, how could she not? You can't truly write books about them if you aren't one yourself and that is a fact. This is possibly because of the success of her books - making her a bestselling author, something she has always wanted to achieve and what an achievement.

The Publisher.

Can You Keep A Secret? was published by Black Swan in 2003.
Black Swan Books are published by:
Transworld Publishers,
61-63 Uxbridge road,
London,
W5 5SA,
a division of the Random House Group Ltd.

The Main Character.

The book is based upon a girl (OK, a woman I suppose) called Emma. She has a few secrets from the people she knows, not that she'd like to admit it. She works in an office, a job which she hates and has a boyfriend called Conner, whom she lies to frequently. Everyone does that, right? They do, but the problem is, not everyone tells a random stranger all their secrets whilst on a plane. Another thing, that random stranger isn't normally their boss whom they've never met, either. Argh!

The Secrets.

  1. My Kate Spade bag is fake.
  2. I love sweet sherry, the least cool drink in the universe.
  3. I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is.
  4. I weigh 9 stone 3. Not 8 stone 3, like my boyfriend Connor thinks. (Although in my defence, I was planning on going on a diet when I told him that. And to be fair, it is only one number different.)
  5. I've always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken.
  6. Sometimes, when we’re right in the middle of passionate sex, I suddenly want to laugh.
  7. I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum, while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben Hur.
  8. I’ve already drunk the wine Dad told me to lay down for twenty years.
  9. Sammy the goldfish at home isn’t the same gold fish that Mum and Dad gave me to look after when they went to Egypt.
  10. When my colleague Artemis really annoys me, I feed her plant orange juice. (Which is pretty much everyday.)
  11. I once had this weird lesbian dream about my flatmate Lissy.
  12. My G-string is hurting me.
  13. I’ve always had this deep conviction that I’m not like everyone else, and there’s an amazingly exciting new life waiting for me just around the corner.
  14. I have no idea what this guy in the grey suit is going on about.
  15. Plus I’ve already forgotten his name.

The Plot.

It's Emma's big chance, all she has to do is make a good impression and get the deal. If she can get the deal she can get somewhere within the Panther Company, get a title, a rise and be 'someone.' The only problem is she fail miserably, leaving her disheartened and feeling terribly stupid. This is not how she wanted it to turn out. She gets on her flight to go back home, to tell her team that she let them down, in an awful mood. She intends on spending the whole flight drowning her sorrows and before she knows it she is spilling out all of her secrets to a fellow passenger in a drunken stooper - not the best thing to do.

She goes into work the next day feeling truly awful and to make matters worse she is then told the head boss, the cheif, is coming in. She hides behind her desk quietly, embarrassed of not making the deal but as the boss gets closer to her desk she realises it is her flying pal. Oh woe. Could everything finally come out of the bag?

Following this comes tears, tantrums and pure and utter embarrassment but most of all there comes true love between two people who are so right for each other. Jack Harper is her boss but we can see how much he truly likes Emma and how much he has to struggle to get her. He makes the biggest mistake he could ever make, bigger than Emma's, he uses her secrets, her life, to make an advertising campaign. It looks like he has finally ruined things. But like many chick lit books it ends out perfectly. He gets the girl and she gets rid of all the lies, finally. A truly inspiring book. We should have less secrets from each other.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.