The Canby Ferry is a river ferry boat that crosses the Willamette River, located near Canby, Oregon, in Clackamas. The ferry is a vehicle and pedestrian ferry that crosses an approximately 750 foot wide stretch of the Willamette River. It is currently one of three passenger ferries in Oregon, along with the Buena Vista Ferry and the Wheatland Ferry, both of which are upstream on the Willamette. Interestingly, the Canby Ferry is the only ferry that doesn't cross a county border, with its course in a place where Clackamas County is on both sides of the river. It is also owned and operated by Clackamas County.

Like many ferry lines, the Canby Ferry is somewhat a relic of an earlier time. The main route from Canby to the rest of the Portland area is along Oregon 99E, through Oregon City, and the ferry is only the most convenient route between Canby and a small rural area of Clackamas County. It might be easier, on a good day, to take the ferry between Canby and Wilsonville, rather than to take the freeway bridge over the Willamette. But on the whole, the ferry line mostly seems to be a tradition than a modern part of the transportation network. It would be a nice place to visit after visiting the adjoining Molalla River State Park.


https://www.clackamas.us/roads/ferry.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.