The Canterbury Chorale is a dramatically rich, sonorous, and absolutely brilliant piece of music written by Jan van der Roost. It begins quietly with the woodwinds, developing into a sort of ethereal lullaby. After the introduction come numerous beautiful solos for horn, alto sax, and flute among others. The solos seem flow from one section to the next like waves in the ocean (or for the more technically minded, energy over a superconductor) until the whole orchestra comes together in a dramatic and tantalizing passage leading to the climax. After dying down to a few woodwinds and brass, every musician joins in a heroic seven chord progression which is moving beyond words. Slowly fading, another group of soloists take over and lay us back down to our earthly bed with a tranquil and gentle ending.

Written as a chorale, this piece was meant to sound like a group of vocalists singing in a sort of Gregorian manner. The effect this creates with a concert band is simply stunning if done right.

Canterbury Chorale was written shortly after van der Roost's visit to the cathedral at Canterbury, England. It must be one amazing place.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.