Continuing along the same lines as the other denomination coins of the period, the Capped Bust Quarter Dollar replaced the Draped Bust design used previously.

First minted in 1815, the Capped Bust Quarter featured Lady Liberty on the obverse, facing left, flanked by thirteen stars - six on the right and seven on the left. The word "LIBERTY" appears on the mobcap holding her hair, and the year was displayed slightly off-center at the bottom. The reverse depicts an eagle with a Union Shield on its breast, clutching three arrows in the right claw and an olive branch on the left. "25 C." appears at the bottom of the coin, and "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" arcs along the top, with an "E PLURIBUS UNUM" ribbon displayed just above the eagle.

There is a seven-year gap between the minting of the previously used Draped Bust design and the Capped Bust design. Between 1808 to 1814, the mint produced no quarters because of the incredibly low demand. The Capped Bust Quarter Dollar minting began in 1815 because the banks had ordered the denomination.

This coin's design was modified in 1828, removing the ribbon from the coin's reverse. This design ceased production in 1838.


United States Coinage

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.