This recipe is adapted from the one found in "One Potato, Two Potato" to my own tastes. The original recipe is tasty, but uses a plain pastry crust, and the resulting flavor is very simple...the very slight caramel taste and the sweet potato just weren't quite enough for me, so I decided to add an old favorite...chocolate. The result was just about perfect.

What you'll need:

1.5 lbs sweet potatoes (you can buy them raw and bake them if you wish, but it's just as easy to buy the canned variety and drain them thoroughly...there's no discernable taste or texture difference, and it's far more convenient.)
One Chocolate Graham cracker crust
3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream, heated to a boil
3 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
half a cup of semi-sweet morsels

Whipped cream for serving, if you wish.

Melt the butter in a medium heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted, add the sugar and stir constantly. The sugar will slowly melt in, until you have a smooth liquid with a deep caramel color. Be careful not to let it burn.

At the same time, have the heavy cream boiling. When all of the sugar is melted and blended in, add the cream. You can put the pan in the sink while you do this, because it will boil up in a volcanic manner, but this also lets it cool off rather dangerously (even though both dishes are boiling) and your caramel will often solidify. What I've found works better is to slowly add the heavy cream to the caramel, stirring constantly and waiting for the bubbling to die down between adds.

Mash the sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl with a fork, then blend in the 3 eggs. Once those are blended, add the vanilla extract, and the chocolate chips. Once these are all blended, add the caramel. This will melt the chocolate chips, turning the whole mixture a rich brown color. Pour the mix into the crust.

Bake the crust in the oven at 425 F for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 350 and bake the pie for another 15 minutes. Depending on your oven, you may with to turn the pie 180 degrees in order to make sure that it cooks evenly.

When the time is up, take the pie out and let it cool for at least an hour.

The pie holds up well out on the counter, but also stores well in the refrigerator, and goes very well with a glass of milk.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.