Caramel apple cider is a wonderfully tart-and-sweet drink perfect for cold winter evenings and holiday get-togethers.

What you need:

1 gallon of apple cider (and by cider, I mean American cider {and by American cider, I mean non-alcoholic})
2 vanilla beans or 3 tbsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. whole cloves
2 tbsp. whole allspice
3 cinnamon sticks
1 small jar caramel sauce (or you could make your own)

To start, pour the cider into a large pan and set it over medium heat. Put your vanilla beans, cloves, allspice, and cinnamon sticks into the cider. If you are using vanilla extract, pour it into the cider right before serving as it has a tendency to evaporate. Heat your cider-and-spices mixture until it boils, stirring every so often. When it starts to boil, reduce the heat so it simmers. Let the cider simmer for 30 minutes or so, stirring every so often. Add in the caramel sauce, using more or less to taste, and stir until it is melted.

VoilĂ ! You now have a wonderful treat that is addictive and loved by the masses. If you make too much, the caramel apple cider can be stored in a plastic or glass container and heated again over the stove or in the microwave. Make sure you stir the cider before heating it as the caramel has a tendency to settle on the bottom. On another note, if you prefer not to have your spices floating around after simmering, put the vanilla beans, cloves, allspice, and cinnamon sticks into a cheesecloth bag before dropping into the cider. The cider gets mulled just as well, and everything is easily removable. And on yet another note, if a harder cider is preferred dark rum can be added to taste. Enjoy!


yclept says I'd suggest a non-reactive pot, though. Stainless steel, enameled steel/cast iron, or corningware. An aluminum, cast iron, or steel pot will react to the acidity of the cider and turn unpleasantly metalic.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.