This is a very yummy cake which resembles a regular upside-down cake, but with a wonderful caramel flavour. The cake itself is moist and delicious (look at all the butter and you'll know why), and can be easily prepared in a food processor, if you have one. You can use any kind of fruit you like for this cake. Fresh plums or apricots are my summer favourites, and in winter I use apples or pears. But let your imagination go free!

What you need

  • 3/4 cup (180 ml) white sugar
  • 1/3 cup (80 ml) water
  • 1-1/2 lb (650 gr) fruit, peeled, pitted, seeded, or whatever, and cut into uniform thick chunks
  • 1/2 cup (120 ml) butter
  • 1/3 cup (80 ml) brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup (180 ml) flour
  • 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder

What to do

Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).

Now make caramelized sugar: put the sugar in a heavy oven-proof, stove-top proof skillet about 7 inches (18 cm) in diameter, and pour the water over. Heat the sugar and water, stirring till dissolved, then bring to the boil and cook without stirring till a warm golden brown, about 8 minutes or so. Remove the pan from the heat immediately, as the pan remains hot and will continue to caramelize the sugar.

Arrange the fruit artfully in the sugar, being very careful not to splash yourself with the hot caramelized sugar. Place the fruit in gently and slowly, especially the first piece.

Cream together butter and brown sugar in a food processor, or use an electric mixer, or, if you have to, just apply muscle power and a fork.

Add eggs to butter mixture and combine well.

Combine flour and baking powder together, and then mix into the butter-egg mixture just until combined. Drop this thick cake batter by spoonfuls over the fruit, covering the surface as best you can. Don't worry if it's not completely covered; it'll puff and spread as it cooks.

Bake for about 35 minutes, till the cake is golden brown and springs back lightly when touched in the centre. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes, then invert on to a plate. Serves 4-6.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.