Carole Lombard was born October 6, 1908 in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Her career began in silent films and later she became known for her roles in screwball comedies opposite stars such as Cary Grant, James Stewart and John Barrymore. In 1930 she met William Powell and they married less than a year later. The couple divorced in 1933, but they stayed friends.

Lombard, at one point, managed to star in 20 films within four years. She received an Oscar nomination for her role in "My Man Godfrey," which she co-starred in with her ex-husband, Powell.

Lombard married Clark Gable after he separated from his wife, Rhea Langham in 1939. They lived on a 20-acre ranch in San Fernando Valley. They weren't big into Hollywood socializing and preffered a simple life away from Hollywood's bright lights. They nick named each other Ma and Pa and their marriage was thought to be a perfect one.

Lombard died at age 33 in a plane crash on a flight she and her mother were on in 1942. Gable, grief stricken, joined the army soon after.

Some of her film credits include:

Ned McCobb's Daughter
Twentieth Century
Now and Forever
My Man Godfrey
Nothing Sacred
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
To Be Or Not To Be
True Confession
Vigil in the Night
Made for Each Other
No Man of Her Own

Help for this node came from geosites.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.