v. (from skiing) to ride with great speed around the corners of a twisting fire road.

From the Dictionary of Mountain Bike Slang

To make turns without skidding on a snowboard. Used for maximum control at high speeds as well as the ability to change direction with minimal loss of speed. The sharpness of the turn is dictated by the board's sidecut.

Carve (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Carved (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Carving.] [AS. ceorfan to cut, carve; akin to D. kerven, G. kerben, Dan. karve, Sw. karfva, and to Gr. to write, orig. to scatch, and E. -graphy. Cf. Graphic.]

1.

To cut.

[Obs.]

Or they will carven the shepherd's throat. Spenser.

2.

To cut, as wood, stone, or other material, in an artistic or decorative manner; to sculpture; to engrave.

Carved with figures strange and sweet. Coleridge.

3.

To make or shape by cutting, sculpturing, or engraving; to form; as, to carve a name on a tree.

An angel carved in stone. Tennyson.

We carved not a line, and we raised not a stone. C. Wolfe.

4.

To cut into small pieces or slices, as meat at table; to divide for distribution or apportionment; to apportion.

"To carve a capon." <-- = carve up --> Shak.

5.

To cut: to hew; to mark as if by cutting.

My good blade carved the casques of men. Tennyson.

A million wrinkles carved his skin. Tennyson.

6.

To take or make, as by cutting; to provide.

Who could easily have carved themselves their own food. South.

7.

To lay out; to contrive; to design; to plan.

Lie ten nights awake carving the fashion of a new doublet. Shak.

To carve out, to make or get by cutting, or as if by cutting; to cut out. "[Macbeth] with his brandished steel . . . carved out his passage."

Shak.

Fortunes were carved out of the property of the crown. Macaulay.

 

© Webster 1913.


Carve, v. i.

1.

To exercise the trade of a sculptor or carver; to engrave or cut figures.

2.

To cut up meat; as, to carve for all the guests.

 

© Webster 1913.


Carve, n.

A carucate.

[Obs.]

Burrill.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.