Almost everyone loves peanut butter. For years it has been a childhood favourite of kids around the world. How would you like to try a grown-up version that you can eat at any time, at any age without feeling the least bit childish? Try making cashew nut butter.

It is supremely simple to make and is wickedly delicious; all the wonderfully melting texture of peanut butter, with the decadently sweet flavour of cashews. I assure you, once you have made cashew butter, you will be hooked.

Use cashew butter for everything you would use peanut butter. My kitchen colleague assures me that cashew butter and celery sandwiches are just about the best.


Ingredients

  • 1 Cup roasted cashews, unsalted *
  • 3 Tbs cashew oil, peanut oil or canola oil
  • Sea salt
  • Method

    Place the nuts and half the oil into a food processor. Pulse the mixture, adding some salt, until you have achieved your desired consistency, be it smooth or crunchy. Add more oil if required.

    Spoon into a sterilized jar and store in the refrigerator.

    * If you can only find salted cashews, place them in a sieve and shake away the excess salt, and omit the sea salt from the recipe.

    If you so wish, peanut butter can be made in an identical fashion.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.