Comedy western musical released in 1965. Directed by Elliot Silverstein and written by Roy Chanslor and Walter Newman, this one stars Jane Fonda as Catherine "Cat" Ballou, Lee Marvin in a dual role as Kid Shelleen and his evil, silver-nosed brother Tim Strawn, Michael Callan as Clay Boone, Dwayne Hickman as Jed, Tom Nardini as Jackson Two-Bears, John Marley as Frankie Ballou, and Reginald Denny (no, not the beat-up trucker from the L.A. Riots) as Sir Harry Percival. Best of all, Nat King Cole and Stubby Kaye appear throughout the movie as shouters who sing about the action going on.

In the film, Cat hires a gunfighter to get revenge on the man who murdered her father -- unfortunately, the once-famous Kid Shelleen is now a washed-up drunkard who can barely stay on his horse. Many of the funniest moments in the movie involve Shelleen's (literal) inability to hit the broadside of a barn, his quasi-dignified attempt to get sober, and his weaving, wobbly horse.

Marvin won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for this movie. In his acceptance speech, he thanked his horse, saying it deserved the award as much as he did.

Research from the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.