Warning: Spoilers.

Cedric Diggory is a character in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. He has a minor role in Book Three, a major role in Book Four, and is mentioned often by name in Book Five.

The only son of Mr. and Mrs. Amos Diggory, Cedric was in Hufflepuff House, two years above Harry Potter. In his fifth year, he became a prefect, as well as captain and Seeker of his House Quidditch team. Under his leadership, Hufflepuff became the first (and so far, only) team to beat Harry at Quidditch (to be fair, Harry was taken ill during the match when a pack of dementors appeared).

Cedric has been described as "strong and silent" and "tall and good-looking". He therefore caught many of the eyes and hearts of Hogwarts' female contingent during his years at the school. However, his only documented romantic interest was Cho Chang, the Ravenclaw seeker, whom he dated during the second term of his sixth year, having asked her out for the Yule Ball. The two were inseparable, and Cho never completely recovered from his loss.

To the delight of Hufflepuff House, Cedric was chosen as one of two Hogwarts champions for the Triwizard Tournament, held at the school during his sixth year. Cedric comported himself very well during the first two tasks, and was tied for first place with Harry Potter, the other Hogwarts champion, at the start of the third task. However, negotiating the maze did not break the tie, as they both arrived at the Triwizard Cup at the same instant. Exemplifying the traits of their two houses, fairness and chivalry respectively, Cedric and Harry agreed to grasp the cup together and share the prize. The cup was a portkey, which transported the pair to a graveyard where Voldemort was waiting. On his command, "kill the spare," Voldemort's lackey, Peter Pettigrew, aka Wormtail, performed the forbidden Avada Kedavra curse, killing Cedric instantly.

Harry successfully thwarted the Dark Lord (mostly) (for the time being) and returned Cedric's body to Hogwarts. Cedric Diggory's unknowing, senseless sacrifice stands as a reminder and a warning to Hogwarts students and the entire wizarding world of the terrible danger in remaining at ease in the face of Lord Voldemort's undying evil.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.